Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: K wings  (Read 5070 times)

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
K wings
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:30:04 pm »
I have noticed that a large number of my bees have the wing seperation on top of the cluster the other day. Im guessing trachael mites ?? From what i have heard trachael mites havent been a real problem  here in Pa recently.  What do you guys think it may be ???  Could this be from not smoking the bees and opening the inner cover and causing a defense mood from the bees ??  At this point what could be done if anything  thanks  chris

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: K wings
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:49:57 am »
From what I've read, K-wing virus is typically transmitted by varroa, not tracheal mites. No smoke, or opening the inner cover is unrelated. The fact that the colony made it thru winter is a good sign. If they're light on stores, you may need to feed them until the spring flow. Once the colony starts to build up in the spring, the K-wing may resolve itself, but you'll have to monitor the mite levels and treat, if necessary.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:41:56 am »
From what I've read, K-wing virus is typically transmitted by varroa, not tracheal mites.

Indy, what have you read on this?  I haven't found any clear references to k-wing coming from varroa.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Grid

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:49:05 am »
I found the following at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki?title=Talk:Diseases_of_the_honey_bee:

Actually "K" wing is a symptom of Tracheal mites, not Varroa mites and not DWV. A crumpled deformed wing is the sign of deformed wing virus (DWV) and this is NOT the same as "K" wing. "K" wing is when the two sets of wings are no longer connected in the middle (as they normally are) and the back wing is actualy forward of the front wing. The wings then form a letter "K". This is due to damage to the wing muscles by the Tracheal mites.

Also a quote from Michael Bush from last year:

DWV looks like a crumpled wing.  Old bees look like frayed wings.  "K" wing looks like a letter "K" on each side.  A normal bee the two wings are attached to each other.  With "K" wing the back wing is pushed forward of the front wing.  A lot of deformed (crumpled) wings of course is indicative of Varroa mites.  "K" wings are indicative of Tracheal mites.  Frayed wings are indicative of hard working old bees...

There does seem to be some disagreement on whether both wing maladies are possible symptoms of varroa or not, but the consensus seems to be that K-wing = tracheal mite, and Deformed Wing Virus = varroa mite.

I didn't know this info until I searched.  Google is your friend.  :)
Grid

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:55:52 am »
There are pictures of k-wing and DWV on my blog today.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:04:13 pm »
This is true is there anything that can be done at this point being the temps are cool out ??  chris

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:36:56 pm »
Great pics there Linda.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 07:18:47 pm »
Grease patties on the top bars.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:47:58 am »
From what I've read, K-wing virus is typically transmitted by varroa, not tracheal mites.

Indy, what have you read on this?  I haven't found any clear references to k-wing coming from varroa.
I'll retract my statement, I momentarily confused K-wing with DWV. I believe the post by Grid is accurate.