Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any Luck With This Seasons Deer Hunting?  (Read 5945 times)

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Any Luck With This Seasons Deer Hunting?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2023, 04:10:09 pm »
My granddaughter got it on the last day of season in the afternoon.  Now they did extend the chance to kill does for three more days and did have a second youth season coming up but mostly everybody is done.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2023, 09:40:03 pm »
Well, somebody needs to start killing a lot of deer soon in east central MS ... in 23 miles, 8 deer crossed the road in front of me. Coming back, 4 crossed. Then, inside city limits going through neighborhoods saw another 4, only 2 of which crossed the road.
At least I know my brakes work well. I'm OC for deerslaying for awhile (can't hold a rifle steady thanks to a bum shoulder). Maybe I should start hunting with the truck.  :shocked:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2023, 10:25:54 pm »

Well, somebody needs to start killing a lot of deer soon in east central MS ... in 23 miles, 8 deer crossed the road in front of me. Coming back, 4 crossed. Then, inside city limits going through neighborhoods saw another 4, only 2 of which crossed the road.
At least I know my brakes work well. I'm OC for deerslaying for awhile (can't hold a rifle steady thanks to a bum shoulder). Maybe I should start hunting with the truck.  :shocked:

:shocked: Sounds like they may be collaborating and hunting you!! lol J/K  :wink: 
We have a heavy population in North Mississippi also...
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2023, 11:55:24 pm »
Sounds like they may be collaborating and hunting you!! lol 
well, Ben, you may be right.
Coming home, nailed the brakes and came to a complete stop for 2 does to cross about 8 feet in front of me, and BAM !
Glanced in the driver door mirror and saw a buck scrambling on the asphalt and trying to get up beside the truck. He had run nose first into the tool body ... needless to say, no damage except to his nose and a blood smear on the rear compartment door. I just sat there slack-jawed and watched the goofy bugger slipping on the pavement, then prance off into the woods.
Completely stopped !!! and he hits the truck  :shocked:     It's getting ridiculous.

Maybe I'll go hunting after all ... got a 8" bbl. Dan Wesson .357 that'll do the trick, so that I don't have to use both arms :wink:
Used to shoot silhouettes with it and have killed 2 deer with it (one at about 100 yds., the other at about 5 feet :cheesy:)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2023, 09:55:21 am »
Wow! Yes that is crazy! When they make their minds to go, they will go, period. Hope it did not damage your truck..

Maybe I'll go hunting after all ... got a 8" bbl. Dan Wesson .357 that'll do the trick, so that I don't have to use both arms :wink:

Good, I'm rooting for you animal. Get out there and show a young buck what a old buck can still do! lol  :wink: :cheesy:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2023, 09:56:50 am »
Amimal
Guess you beat me, my ruger 44 only has 7.5 inch barrel.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2023, 11:36:43 am »
LOL ... beat you ? Hardly ... you must be being sarcastic ... I had a redhawk 7.5" for a short while and still bummed that I couldn't keep it. Sweet shooting gun, and the extra power of the .44 would be nice.
I do like the swappable barrels on the Dan Wesson, though.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 11:53:44 am by animal »

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2023, 04:09:49 pm »
I knock the extra power down and reload cowboy loads so it kicks just a little harder then a 22.  Then it is sweet.  I am done with the magnum loads, just not as much fun for what you get compared to the accuracy of shooting bleep cat loads.  Admittedly these days, I have become too cheep to shoot much though.  I do like stainless.  Stays good no matter how you store it.  My friend had the dan wesson and we shot a lot more 20 years ago. 

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2023, 10:33:21 am »
I meant the extra power would be nice thumping a deer with, especially with a  really soft 240gr. hollowpoint (and maybe slightly down-loaded but still well above a .44 spl.) For deer with the .357, I'll do 125 gr. JHP at full magnum load.

I'm right with you on light loads for fun, or introducing kids to the hobby, and even some uses in training.(even developed did a custom molded 100gr. 9mm underloaded round to shoot at an indoor range designed for .22s ... so it wouldn't harm the thin snail drum backstops .. the pistols actioned a little slow, but they always worked).

Anyway, good to see another hand loader/reloader around... not many of us left.
You'll really make me jealous if you have a Dillon setup. My stuff is a mix of everything but (and mostly Lee).

I've always called black powder loaded cartridges "cowboy rounds" ... yuck, when it comes to cleaning the gun.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2023, 11:23:57 am »
Nope, just a lyman set up.  Not sure but think they call it the triple tree or something like that.  I only do 44 mag cause it is a nice strait walled shell that usually needs no resizing,  necking or shaving.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2023, 11:49:52 am »
Lyman is cool. A buddy just got a top of the line Dillon progressive press. I looked it over, and might have put a few rust spots on it from drool ... until I heard the price ... and my mouth dried up quick !  :cheesy:

anything