Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Updates?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Updates?
« on: December 18, 2023, 11:27:55 am »
Hello all. It?s been a few years since I?ve been active. Took this year off from beekeeping. Just looking to see if there have been any crazy updates to beekeeping since I last kept up with the times. Brief synopsis of my practices.

8 frame deep brood boxes and medium supers. +/- on Queen excluders. Varroa mites are large treated with vaporized oxalic acid with apivar if needed. Haven?t treated for nosema for a while. Thinking I might change that. I winter indoors and have had a couple of rough years. In that regard.

My biggest challenge has always been overwintering. I?ve been very hit and miss. I?ve had some years where I?ve had hives filling three deeps just busting at the seams and lots of years where I get 100% die out. Always a lot of variables, which makes isolating a single thing difficult. I keep my shed ~40f. I keep a ceiling fan running. I run an exhaust fan an about 3/4 times a day for 15 minutes. It?s completely dark. I?ve been super aggressive with mites without much change. I?m thinking my plans for this next year will be a couple of small tweaks. Increase ventilation to my overwinter shed by running fan more often. Try treating nosema. Go back to Italian or try saskatraz. I?ve done carniolans for a while. I feel like since I winter indoors I don?t need to worry so much about a large population of Italians all winter. Having a bigger cluster will be an advantage. I can control temp to minimize their need to increase their metabolism for heat. I just need to ensure plenty of stores.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Updates?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 11:34:52 am »
Wow Bush_84 it is great having you back with us after the long absence! I am thinking you was one of the instermential folks who helped me when I was building my OAV Vaporizer? I am giving your credit anyway lol!  :grin:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 12:10:25 pm »
Lol. Hello!  Glad I could be of service.

Edit-I checked and I still have the messages lol.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 02:25:02 pm by Bush_84 »
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 02:50:23 pm »
👍🏻. It worked out well! Much Obliged!

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 03:20:00 pm »
Welcome back, Bush 84!  It's great to see you posting again!  Try not to leave us for so long next time!  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 06:51:02 pm »
Lol no promises. So is everything essentially the same or has Randy Oliver or somebody equally smart come up with something new?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 08:29:18 pm »
I mean, I've only been beekeeping for 5 years, so I can't really comment on anything new compared to the long run, but you know how it is with beekeepers, hardly anything is universal.  10 beekeepers, 12 answers, and all that.  :cheesy:

Just to sort of tell you what I'm doing, I'm using all 8 frame mediums, foundationless, and treating with OAV or FormicPro as needed.  I don't feed sugar except in emergencies, and I never feed pollen.  I'm working towards being treatment free.  I've got local mutts that are partially descendants of my first packages and partially from a colony that usurped one of mine a few years ago.  I overwinter in 2 mediums with moisture quilts.  But, hey, that's just me.  Everyone is doing everything differently.  Whatever works for you.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 09:46:20 pm »
Ya I?m just curious if there?s been some new treatment or breakthrough on something. A quick look at the Mann lake website indicates that there isn?t.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 09:58:05 pm »
The only real breakthrough that I have heard of at this point is from a report from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln..

UNIVERSITY of NEBRASKA-LINCOLN

NEBRASKA TODAY

Agriculture & Environment
August 4, 2023

Research boosts honey bee protection against deadly viruses
by Geitner Simmons | IANR Media

America's honey bee population faces enormous stress. During 2022, nearly half the nation's managed colonies were lost. A central threat is the Varroa mite, a parasite whose spread of viruses regularly triggers catastrophic colony loss.

However, new research findings by a group of scientists, including Husker entomologist Troy Anderson, could provide a breakthrough in combating the threat.

Through field study and cutting-edge biochemical analysis, the researchers have identified a specific drug treatment that stimulates honey bees? immune systems and dramatically strengthens protection against mite-facilitated viral assault.

Infected honey bees that received the treatment, Anderson and his colleagues reported, "had similar survival rates as uninfected bees." "Once colonies received treatment at the proper level via the drug pinacidil, their viral infection rates were reduced to levels comparable to non-inoculated colonies."

The team, led by researchers at Louisiana State University, explained its findings in an article recently published in Virology Journal.

"We've provided a critical proof of concept that you can find a therapeutic target to inhibit virus-mediated mortality in bees at the field level," said Anderson, professor of entomology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. "That is not only groundbreaking. It's a huge step forward in being able to improve bee colony health with specific chemistries."

With these research findings in hand, Anderson said the task now is to develop ?novel therapeutics? ? drug treatments ? for commercial hives. This initial treatment approach identified by the researchers might be feasible for only some beekeepers, "but what we?ve shown is that we can regulate the immune system to provide some protection for bees against viruses," he said. "So now we need to work on other drug treatments that may work better or are more cost-effective."

To achieve the breakthrough, the scientists needed to understand the specifics of using pinacidil to administer the proper amount of reactive oxygen species - unstable molecules commonly known as free radicals that can stimulate a body's immune response. The reactive oxygen species, or ROS, produced the desired immune system activity by entering cells through potassium ion channels - biological entry points whose signaling regulates a wide range of cell activity.

The researchers needed to get the ROS level just right, Anderson said, because a level of free radicals too high can damage tissues, and a level too low fails to stimulate the immune system.

"A moderate increase in these ROS can benefit bees by enhancing their immune function, which is what we've done here with pinacidil treatments," Anderson said.

The scientists delivered the drug through sugar water drizzled on beehive frames. Bees ingested the liquid and passed it on to younger bees.

Previous laboratory research by the scientists had indicated the likely viability of the treatment approach, and this new project confirmed the effectiveness in the field, using hives at Louisiana State University. The hives were sizable, with at least 80,000 honey bees per hive.

Over the past 12 years, the annual loss of colonies nationwide averaged 39.6%. In 2022, the figure stood at 48%, the second-highest mortality rate on record. Bee colony loss undercuts environmental sustainability and the U.S. agriculture sector, given the broad importance of honey bee pollination for many plants and crops.

Honey bee colonies "are complex, dynamic machines," Anderson said, and affected by multiple stressors including parasites, pathogens, pesticides, landscape and climate change. By identifying treatment to address the Varroa mite and its viral-spreading capacity, this research addresses one of the gravest threats to bee colony health.

https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/research-boosts-honey-bee-protection-against-deadly-viruses/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 10:09:57 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 10:33:47 pm »
Anybody have experience with saskatraz? Last I looked they were supposed to be the next big hype.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 12:18:02 am »
I for one don't know much about this strain of bee, but 2Sox had a bit to say about these some time ago. So did TheHoneyPump. I am thinking 2Sox was not very enthusiastic but TheHoneyPump, (if I remember correctly), spoke favorably of them.

Phillip

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 03:27:01 pm »
Ya I?m thinking about going back to Italians. The benefit of carniolans is they are more conservative with their winter stores due to a smaller cluster, however I want volume of bees. I can put them in a shed and not worry about being efficient. In my experience, and I?d love to hear others thoughts, but in my experience Italians also seem to raise more brood over the winter. This provides for a more sustainable cluster and healthier population come spring. It seems that when I switched over to carniolans that I had more issues.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2023, 04:27:44 pm »
Bush_84
I'd love to hear others thoughts
My original stock came from cutouts so I really don't know what they are. I have since ordered a few queens from Barnyard Bees (about 4 years ago) and they are now mixed with the OS and this combination seems to be a hardy bee strain.

Phillip

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 11:04:30 pm »
Nothing earth shattering. Bees are bees, pests are pests. Maybe they quit monitoring if OA was used on Honey Supe. . . . You?d have to look into that, I don?t remember the verdict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything