Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Forgotten administrator password  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Forgotten administrator password
« on: June 18, 2010, 02:51:18 pm »
I made an administrator account on my sons computer to control what he can and cant do. However now I cant remember the password for the account to log in. I tried starting in safe mode but it still brings up the two different accounts and ask for the password. I tried to put his "recovery cd" in but I found he did not copy the files to the cd. I am now taking the motherboard battery out to see if that works. Any other suggestions?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Forgotten administrator password
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 10:36:45 pm »
ok I figured it out. I had to download a program called "Ophcrack." It was free and the number one password recovery program. I had to download the program to a cd, make the cd a bootable cd, and then make sure the boot sequence started with the cd drive. I ran the program and it showed me every account that was made and the password to each account. To ensure this never happens again I made my son the administrator and deleted my account. He is much younger and can remember better than I.

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
Re: Forgotten administrator password
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 10:35:07 pm »
I just use the chntpw package.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/chntpw/
I have modified this for custom use.
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson