Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by BeeMaster2 on Today at 07:46:32 am »
Terri,
I keep swarm traps near my apiary, especially very large swarm traps. I usually catch very large swarms and have watched and videoed several of them come in from afar. This year I did catch a swarm from my largest hive.
Keep trying.
Jim Altmiller
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 06:42:02 am »
I obviously have no experience of my own to run with but I do have my thoughts. 1) Swarms have landed on my neighbor?s apple trees multiple times so I do have other bees around that are looking for homes 2) my trap is about 1/2 mile from the hives right down the road and 3) it?s over a mile from the hives in the other direction and those are just the hives that I know about. I suspect that at least some of those swarms have come from that closest apiary.
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Re: I viewed a meme
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 06:32:30 am »
AJ is nothing but a MEME opportunity. Kamala Harris is fortunate that he is such a good target.
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Re: I viewed a meme
« Last post by gww on Today at 01:51:06 am »
Well, we have seen what kfc does to the brain and so know ice cream must be an improvement.
« Last post by gww on Today at 01:48:47 am »
Not to be disagree with Beesnweeds post but I like a trap around my hives for a couple of reasons.  I have one in my back yard and I do not see bees looking for resource very often but when I do see a bee around it, the first thing I do is walk down to my hives and look in the trees.  I have hived at least three of my own before they even picked a home using this.  There are studies that say most bees move away from their home hive a ways on average.
I have a theory though that hives from others like to come to where there are already hives.  I had two dead outs filled this way last year.  Most times except rare occasions of one or two bees, if I see bees at a trap, somebody is looking for a home.  Bees most time if you don't put something sweet in the trap could care less about but get very interested when looking for a home.  I do know that my swarms from my hives will look at a close trap and I have never given them a chance to move in cause I find them and shake them but it is the looking at the trap that tips me off to do that.  The ones that leave a hive very seldom go very far when they first come out.  Mine all land in two cedars that are the closest thing.  Some people set up a Russian scion based on this fact and old early bee books advised setting up fake branches if nothing was close.
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 12:20:46 am »
Terri I?ll not try to encourage or discourage you. A few seasons back Father Michael was trying intently to catch a swarm and was very disappointed that his own hive swarmed and went another direction. Father Michale, is my memory correct?

I agree with >almost every thing .Beesnweeds post.< His advise is well worth listening too. Even still I think you have a chance! Keep us updated, and thanks for sharing your experiences!

Phillip
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / I viewed a meme
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 12:13:40 am »
I viewed a meme which said. >It must be nice to eat Ice cream as fast as you won?t without worrying about getting brain freeze!<

Below the words was a picture of Joe Biden licking on an ice cream comb!  😁😁😁😁
Humorously sad as it might be true? 🤷🏻‍♂️
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Follow the Bloom - 2024
« Last post by cao on May 03, 2024, 11:09:00 pm »
I noticed a couple day ago that the blackberries(tame) are starting to bloom.  Again, like last year they are early.  This year they are about 3-4 weeks early.  Pretty much everything is early this year.
« Last post by Terri Yaki on May 03, 2024, 10:22:27 pm »
I was wondering if it was my own bees too. I've been trying but I'm not having any luck seeing which way they're coming from.
HONEYBEE REMOVAL / Re: Expensive Issue
« Last post by Ben Framed on May 03, 2024, 10:05:32 pm »
You guys are basing your opinion on your own skill level and conscientiousness. You guys are also typically the first on the scene. In this type of situation, I would be the guy that comes in later to pick up the pieces and put them back together and while I might agree with you IF I knew I was going behind someone like you guys, with lots of experience removing bees, and would take care with the building; that's a huge IF. (not to mention that I know some otherwise good contractors that I wouldn't trust with an older structure) Going in behind someone else is the worst and that's partly what I'm basing my opinion on. One thing I learned very quickly is to NEVER EVER assume the competence of someone because they are certified to do the work.

And that may very well be the case. Your point is well made! Even still the bee remover guy would have to be some kind of 'destructive hack' to do that much damage.   :shocked:  lol  :grin:  :wink:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10