Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mid to Late Winter emergency feeding  (Read 23680 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Mid to Late Winter emergency feeding
« on: February 02, 2014, 11:18:13 am »
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:12:21 pm by buzzbee »

Offline Bruce

• New Bee
Re: Mid to Late Winter emergency feeding
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 09:59:05 pm »
Though I generally don't feed my bees mid to late winter is an exception. For new beekeepers a misconception is that bees are very fragile. If you "quickly" (the few seconds needed - don't pull frames) and intelligently (not in a snow storm and not often) open your hive in winter they will not die and you can check on their food supply. You can cook fondant and add an acid to invert the sugar (bees do that in their nectar tommy) but it's not necessary if you are lazy like me and Michael Bush ( http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm). Here are a few tips on feeding bees in winter http://strathconabeekeepers.blogspot.ca/2014/01/feeding-bees-in-winter.html

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:13:34 pm »
You don't need to open them at all if you just heft them regularly. You can tell by the weight if they need feed. Then you can drop a patty or sugar brick on in much less time when you do have to open one.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 06:10:12 am »
I agree - there's really no need to ever open a hive in winter in order to check stores or give supplementary/ emergency feed.  For myself, there's little point in hefting as only a few of my hives are of the same construction and thus weight - otherwise I would.  Instead, I use insulated inverted jars over purpose-made holes in the crown board (inner cover), which - from January/February onwards contain either fondant or damp-set sugar.  I can then very quickly monitor these jars on (typically) a weekly basis, without opening the hive itself, and replenish them only if necessary.  Which, in practice, is very seldom.

I haven't lost a single colony from starvation since I adopted this measure some years ago.
http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/beek02.htm

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 06:53:06 am »
Good article. Thanks for sharing.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 12:22:20 pm »
Here in Central Arkansas I keep a dry pollen substitute out all winter (BEE PRO)
I also keep 2-1 sugar syrup in 5 gallon community feeders.
If their food stores get low I use the Mountain Camp Method also.
We have warm days and cool to cold days.
The bees fly and use energy thus eat a lot of food in the hive.
I make sure the hive has plenty of ventilation which is a key to winter survival here because of the high humidities.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:44:47 pm »
Here in Central Arkansas I keep a dry pollen substitute out all winter (BEE PRO)
I also keep 2-1 sugar syrup in 5 gallon community feeders.
If their food stores get low I use the Mountain Camp Method also.
We have warm days and cool to cold days.
The bees fly and use energy thus eat a lot of food in the hive.
I make sure the hive has plenty of ventilation which is a key to winter survival here because of the high humidities.

capt44  Keep in mind that I am learning,  the Mountain Camp Method is something that I know nothing about. Will you tell me about it please sir?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 01:33:19 am »
The mountain camp method is basically putting a sheet of newspaper(wax paper) on top of the frames.  Piling some dry sugar on it and spritzing it with water to clump it up (so the bees don't carry the sugar out as trash).  It is a quick way to put sugar on a hive instead of fondant or sugar bricks. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 11:28:49 am »
The mountain camp method is basically putting a sheet of newspaper(wax paper) on top of the frames.  Piling some dry sugar on it and spritzing it with water to clump it up (so the bees don't carry the sugar out as trash).  It is a quick way to put sugar on a hive instead of fondant or sugar bricks.

Thanks cao, I knew of the method that you described but didn't know it as the mountian camp method, or that was the name of the method..  many thanks , Phillip Hall
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 02:48:58 pm »
We here at the North end of the Rocky Mountain range, have had at least an open winter if not a lack of winter.  Little dusting of snow today but snow on the flats has been melted since Christmas.  Bees have been flying some most every week so winter stores are taking a beating.  I opened all of my colonies ten days ago and the inspection was beneficial in that one colony had eaten every speck of the ten pounds of MC sugar on the top was gone.  I don't care if they hauled half out the front door, it was no longer there to eliminate starvation.  I put on some simple sugar bricks 10lb sugar and two cups water, stir and pack in paper soup bowl form; and marked the colony to be used up making nucs beginning of May with caged queens.  It will take at least three!  This hive is stuffed with bees!  The genetics don't need passed on but the intrinsic value of the bees is too great to teach them a lesson by letting them starve to death.  I will be checking it soon to make sure it does not run out of feed.

In my experience here in zone 3/4 is that a hive can be opened any month of the year IF you have a lid that reseals and you only do the action for a reason.  Mine will be reopened mid February to add more sugar if necessary and to start putting on pollen patties.  My objective is to super when the fruit and dandelion bloom and requeen.  I think a lot of honey is left on the trees because people won't super early.  I basically follow Mel Disselkoens OTS methodology to control swarming.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 09:14:01 am »
Wouldn't it make more sense to leave them 20 extra pounds of honey especially if they are going to dump 1/2 the 20 pounds of sugar out the door?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 01:38:20 pm »
I get over a hundred dollars for twenty pounds of honey.  I pay less than ten dollars for twenty pounds of sugar.  I am not a mathematician but my labor is useless except to me but it seems to work out and I don't lose any colonies to starvation which really bothers me since I am fond of bees.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 06:21:47 pm »
So in NW Florida, where they fly probably 350 days out of the year, I have left them plenty of honey, do I need to feed pollen over the winter?  Also, what are your thoughts on winter grease patties?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 07:46:38 pm »
Pollen is for raising brood. Adult bees use very little, if any, pollen for themselves. In Florida, there should be more than enough pollen for them unless you plan to split heavily, like make 5 or more nucs from each 10 frame hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dimas

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 12:28:23 pm »
I get over a hundred dollars for twenty pounds of honey.  I pay less than ten dollars for twenty pounds of sugar.  I am not a mathematician but my labor is useless except to me but it seems to work out and I don't lose any colonies to starvation which really bothers me since I am fond of bees.
Our honey costs in bulk 50 cents per foot. Sugar 50 cents for 2 pounds

Offline ParksMtnApiary

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2019, 11:11:33 am »
I?ll usually tip hives to get idea of weight couple times a month during winter. If seems light I?ll make a candy board to put on. Warm (50+ degrees) late feb or March I might pull top and take a look. Maybe feed if needed and pollen paddy

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 11:56:26 pm »
I?ll usually tip hives to get idea of weight couple times a month during winter. If seems light I?ll make a candy board to put on. Warm (50+ degrees) late feb or March I might pull top and take a look. Maybe feed if needed and pollen paddy

Parks, I have leaned this too. After this string of freezing weather I plan to recap my hives with another round of Mountain Camp, (if needed).

Phillip