BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Is it Time Already?

(1/11) > >>

Beeboy01:
Been keeping an eye on my hives by watching the incoming workers and over the last two weeks between the cool spells the girls have started to haul in pollen. Looking around I've spotted the maples budding out with some already starting to bloom. Yikes this is turning out to be an early start for the season. What's everybody's take on this year, is it time already for this season to start here in Florida? Checking my records I'm almost two weeks ahead of last year's maple bloom which caught me off guard.

Spent an afternoon in the shop over the weekend cleaning up and installing plastic foundation in four deeps of used frames. Planning to slowly move over to plastic foundation over the next two years. It was interesting to see the different ways I tried to assemble and nail the frames. Some were glued with Gorilla Glue and tacked with brads (didn't work) others nailed with different types of nails or stapled and glued, most needed to be re-nailed. Scraping and rebuilding old frames isn't one of those jobs I look forward to but it needs to get done. Still have to finish getting gear together for the new year but got a head start on it at least.

Ben Framed:
Beeboy two weeks earlier for the maple bud is an eye opener. I can understand your surprise. I am not in Florida. 33 here at the present. So far I am not seeing a real difference in my area compared to last season. It will be interesting to see how the weather and nature reveals itself as time rolls along. With your heads up I will be looking for similar earlier signs.

.

BeeMaster2:
Beeboy,
I?m seeing the same thing.  Bees bringing in maple pollen and ignoring sugar water.
Brood is building up.
Remember, December 22, winter solstice is the start of brood build up here in Florida.
Jim Altmiller

rast:
I'v seen red maple  bloom in late Dec. here in central Fl before

jtcmedic:
Mine were bringing in pollen in central Florida. My supers got som wax moths this year so I did a lot of scrapping. Even froze them before storing them this year , what a mess

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version