Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extractors building own equipment  (Read 2855 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Extractors building own equipment
« on: July 18, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »
Hey Beek's

I am buying that cheap plastic extractor to get by this year and hopefully get half my money back next year.

Anyway the point of this post is I would like some opinions on what is the best extractor money can buy for around 600 to 700 dollars.  I want a motorized one, want quality of course, will have deep and medium frames, and plan on increasing my hive numbers to around 20 or so next season.  I would buy one this year but I have already spent a ton of money.  so if you could please offer you opinion on whats out there and the options that I may have.  Some may think it is foolish to spend that much money but I will be making an investment for the future.  I have plenty of land to keep bees so the sky is the limit right now meaning I dont want to sell my self short and miss out on a better extractor for a couple of hindred dollars if I need to spend a little more.  Thanks for any info you may provide

Also when it comes to building your own hive equipment what is practical?  Frames seem like they would be much to time consuming and frustrating.  I should be able to make the hive bodys, bottom boards, and telescoping covers.  The frames, inner covers and what not is probably best purchased right.  Any thoughts on this?  What do You do?  What equpment do I need?  My uncle has a bit of a work shop with router, table saw, chop saw and I think a small plainer and whatever else I am not aware of.

Bee-nuts
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Extractors building own equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:57:48 pm »
If you are going to have 20 or more hives, I would look into an extractor that can handle at least 10 frames.  That'll speed up your extracting pretty quick.  Look at Maxant or Mann Lake.  The extractors you find there are all high quality...especially Maxant.  Might not fall into your price range for motorized though.  JP posted this.  I am looking into this one myself now as I am seriously considering an upgrade also.

As far as building equipment...I've only done hive bodies.  They came out ok but would have been better if the wood quality was any good.  Lots of crap in the lumber yards, especially if you go to Lowes.  Choose your wood wisely.  If you have the equipment, you should do ok with making stuff.  I have a table saw and a circular saw.  It was tricky with that but doable.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 08:19:44 pm »
Also when it comes to building your own hive equipment what is practical?

Check out this post -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,21964.0.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:07:06 pm »
there are several listed on craigs list for sale, and some are reasonable priced. If you have craigs pal it is an easy look up.

G3

here is one I found,   http://greenbay.craigslist.org/grd/1276318475.html 

sounds like a good deal to me
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:35:09 pm by G3farms »
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:49:50 am »
Thanks Guys!!

G3, I looked at the craigs list stuff and he emailed me pics.  Very old stuff and not quite what Im looking for but thanks any way.

Robo!  Very nice website, I have learned alot from your videos and stuff already.  Awsome stuff man!!  One question though.  Do you prefer foundation or letting the bees build from strips for honey supers or brood or both?  This could save me a fortune if all I had to buy was frames.

Bassman, I belive you are right and an 10 frame or larger extractor is what I need for the future.  From what I am told these things hold there value very well anyway. 

I will attempt to build some equipment this winter and I will try to strike a deal with a small local lumber yard (have one in mind already) and hopefully get better quality wood.

Thanks again Beeks!!
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

anything