Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoke some more.  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Smoke some more.
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:01:01 am »
There have been many topics about what smoker to use and what to use in the smoker and words of wisdom of how to light the thing and keep it lit. But how do you use the darn thing. Yes it has been said to puff smoke in the entrance. Wait a minute and puff it under the top cover. but this is what I guess I am afraid of.... frying the bees.

On all the videos I have seen the beek places the smoker spout right into the hive and puffs. Or (s)he gets it real close to the bees on top of the frames and puffs. Perhaps this is where I go wrong. I think about that really hot air in the can being forced out the spout and and it's bee-bar-b-que. I keep the spout back and try to get some into the opening..... hard to do in windy West Texas. Then I open up the top and puff it so the wind carries the smoke to the hive..... not always into the hive.

SO! Should I get that spout right up in there? How do you not burn bees when you do that? 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Smoke some more.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:22:43 am »
Jerry, oooh.  That is why one should use smoker fuel that exudes a cool, blue smoke, not dark and hot.  When I smoke the colonies, I ALWAYS test the heat coming out of the nozzle (is that what it is called) with my hand infront of it.  If I find it really hot, I pump the bellows until the smoke is smoking good and the smoke is not HOT.  Sometimes when it first fires up there is flames that come out, I just wait a little bit longer.

You will be surprised.  If you pump the bellows lightly, there is not alot of heat that comes out.  Test this and practice with this, you will be able to tell what temperature the smoke is.

That is why burlap is so commonly used. It provides a cool, blue smoke.  I bought burlap from the hardware store, it was food grade, clean, no additives.  But it burned up really, really fast.  When I purchased burlap from the Honeybee Centre in a neighbouring town (a very reputable honey operation), he gave me the burlap that he sells there (well, of course).  It is treated with coconut oil to keep it burning a little bit longer I would suppose.  It does burn longer and does not have the toxins that gunny sacks can have.  They are treated with motor oil and are toxic, would never use them.  It is cautioned about the use of burlap, that it is not treated with motor oil.  The palm oil is much more safe, and yes it does burn longer.

I was outside by the chicken yard yesterday and noticed a tree that had been put into a pile when we had some land clearing done.  There were three trees in this pile.  One of them I think was birch, it had the white bark.  I remember in an old post saying that I didn't think I had any birch on my property, well, I guess that I did have one.  Anyways, all along this fallen birch tree were hundreds of polypores growing along it.  I have to look into the internet to see if they are shelf polypores or timber polypores or what they are exactly.  But I remember in that post that got so long, think it was called "let's flame about the smokers" or something like that, the title of the thread made an impact on my mind and I remember it, that these (Finsky really liked the species that grows in Finland and lights his, once they are dried, with the cigarette lighter in the vehicle) make wonderful smoker fuels and burn for a long time.  But, I think what I remember is that they are hard to light. Of course I think they would have to be dried first.

I have used the dried staghorn sumac flowers, they are awesome and provide that cool, blue smoke.  Well, Jerry, I have rambled, I don't know if anything I have said has helped you out, I hope it may, if it doesn't, I think that you will still hear lots of great information from our forum friends.  Have the best of a wonderful day, heading off to get kids ready for that thing called "school".  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:41:50 am »
I got burlap bags they make for coffee beans. I used it in the morning time and placed a plug in the spout to kill the fire. That afternoon I went to collect the smoker and burned my hand. The burlap was only half gone but still burning many hours later.... with a plug in the spout. Must not have been tight enough. But I find the burlap I got to burn for quite some time. I guess this season I will try to be less afraid of the heat and see if I have better luck at calming bees.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 11:48:12 am »
Blue smoke? I have never seen blue smoke Cindi, no offense.( modification) I think Cindi means a smoker that has flames coming out, hence the blue smoke. Cardboard makes a good fuel, I like burlap, but you need to get it going good at first or it burns out. Jerry, once the smoker is going good, puff it a couple of times to make sure NO flames or coming out of the spout, if so its wayyy too hot yet, let things die down, you want just smoke, duh, no flames coming out so you don't fry any bees. Once its burning correctly, you really don't have to do much puffing, the smoke will usually carry and enter where you need it just fine. At first the bees will hum loudly, for maybe 20-30 seconds, then they calm down. As long as the smoker is burning properly, you don't have to worry about burning any bees.

Sincerely, JP
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:43:56 pm by JP »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:50:46 am »
Jerrymac,

I personally am frugal, and use what I find laying around the yards for fuel.  I have never had a problem with lighting my bees on fire, of course I always get it going really well and then stuff a bunch of wet leaves on top to help cool things on the way out.  That seems to work fine for me.

I also help a small commercial guy here and he uses burlap exclusively.  It lights easy and so long as you 1/2 fill the smoker with burlap it does burn for quite some time.  It also provides a cool smoke unless the bees are out of hand and you are puffing the bellow like a crazy fool.  Then it can really heat up the smoke.  Sometimes when we make splits we really smoke the crap out of the top box to drive all the bees out of the top and place a queen excluder between the top/bottom boxes.  burlap does work well.  I would not be concerned with Bee-b-que ing the bees.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 01:43:26 pm »
If you are getting the billowing white smoke, then it isn't too hot.  Test it on your hand and that will tell you how hot it is how far away.

I stuff some green grass in the top (there are never wet leaves when I need them) and this helps cool things down a bit and filter out any sparks.

Rick
Rick

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »
I placed a plug in the spout to kill the fire. That afternoon I went to collect the smoker and burned my hand. The burlap was only half gone but still burning many hours later.... with a plug in the spout. Must not have been tight enough.

Tip your smoker on its side when you want it to go out. You don't even have to plug the hole. Keeping it standing upright creates a chimney effect, which keeps the oxygen flowing to the burning fuel. The irony is, of course, that it's tricky to keep it burning when you're going to be using it on the bees, but when you're done, getting the thing extinguished can be a &%$#^&&* pain!
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:39:24 pm »
When you're lighting it it will belch fire sometimes. But if you stop pumping it will die back down and blow a lot of smoke.  If it doesn't, then put your gloved hand over the spout (or if your hand isn't gloved, push the spout against something) to block the air for a second so the flames all die.  Now you have cool smoke.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 10:46:22 pm »
If you want cool smoke use something to cool it down.  My mentor taught me to put green grass or leaves into the top of the smoker to filter the smoke into a cooler mode.  I've always done it that way, still do. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 08:56:17 am »
My mentor taught me to put green grass or leaves into the top of the smoker to filter the smoke into a cooler mode. 

I do the same thing!  I stoke the fire up good and hot with pages from a phone book and cardboard, then pour in pellet stove pellets.  Once that's burning blazing hot, then I take fresh cut grass clippings and stuff it to the brim.  Nice cool smoke that lasts a long time.  The pellets leave a lot of residue on the smoker's cone which sorta sucks.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 09:11:32 am »
I heard Texans will eat anything as long as its charcoaled flavor or flame grilled !

I have no idea what to use in a smoker... Still thinking about that one.....Was thinking of maybe cotton as that generates allot of smoke and takes a long time to burn

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:42:15 am »
So, here we are again, the smoker thread.  It is a great one.  I remember the thread that was going on for such a long time "let's flame about the smoker" or something along that line was a great, great thread and it went on and on and on.  Just like the Eveready Battery Bunny.  Just something about the smoker that we all need to understand and share thoughts.

I have tried putting the green grass stuff on top of the smoker fuel to keep it burning with cool smoke.  It does work well and it is something that I will continue to do, no doubt.

Cool, blue smoke.  Yep.  Sorry JP, I have heard of this cool, blue smoke.  Don't know where, but I heard of this.  I know that some fuels may blow out that blackish looking smoke?  Has anyone ever used a fuel that they saw this happen with?  I would be curious about that.  I haven't seen it before, maybe someone has?  Elaborate.

Have a great and wonderful day, lovin' life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 09:55:26 am »
But Cindi, this one is more about the proper use of one. Not what smoker to get or what fuel to use. But it is drifting into "what fuel" category.

I heard Texans will eat anything as long as its charcoaled flavor or flame grilled !

Not anything. Clowns taste funny.

You want to come over for lunch?  :-D

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 10:29:12 am »
I light it, then let my kids fight over who will smoke it. :roll:  By the time I finally need it (5 minutes later), all of the fuel is usually burnt up and the smoker is hotter than a car in the Texas summer.  But the whole yard is smokey....
Rick

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 10:39:37 am »
If your weather does't permit moving the smoker back a few inches, try blowing the smoke through an alumminum foil tube as an extender or something like that. It will be cooler a few inches down the tube.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 08:32:57 pm »
You want to come over for lunch?  grin

Not if your going to serve BBQ Bee's :-) ! lol

Thanks for the Banter Mate !

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 08:53:40 pm »
i really like the burlap also.  once you get it started it just smolders and puts off cool smoke.  i got the used coffee bags also.  12 for 10 bucks at the military surplus store.  they smell good!  12 of those big bags ought to last me a long time.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 12:16:47 am »
You want to come over for lunch?  grin
Not if your going to serve BBQ Bee's :-) ! lol

I was thinking more of fuzzy kitties with big grins  :shock:

I got the brand new never been used bags. $1.00 per bag.

anything