Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tarantulas...  (Read 11524 times)

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Tarantulas...
« on: December 23, 2006, 02:49:46 am »
Well Tarantulas arent really in the garden where I am... but they will be in the basement not to far from my ants. Assuming my mom lets me get them *hopefully my hopes arent to high that I get them... :-\  I took this pictures at my friends house who would be giving me her two tarantulas.

Chilean Rose Grammostola rosea
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
Re: Tarantulas...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 01:56:28 am »

I post pictures of the spider and more info later.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 02:30:30 am »

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 10:16:25 pm »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 07:09:58 pm »
We have a pink toed tarantula.  It was about the size of a dime when we got it, now a year and half later it is about the size of a loonie or bigger, it rarely comes out of its home, so if I ever get a picture I will post it.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 12:23:25 pm »
Those pink Toes are nice T's too, they are really cool. So you got it as a sling then huh?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 08:03:08 pm »
Those pink Toes are nice T's too, they are really cool. So you got it as a sling then huh?

"sling".  I presume that word means "baby" in T lingo.  Yes, my son-in-laws brother knows that I possess a keen interest in insects and brought me a gift one day in a tiny little container.  A tiny little pink-toed tarantula, its body was about the size of a dime, as stated and its legs combined with abdomen was not more than say 2 inches diameter or so.  I am surprised at how little time this guy spends out of his house, rarely, I see him on the wall now and then,  maybe with his front legs sticking out, but that is about it.  He does enjoy a cricket now and then and strikes with amazing speed and then backs back into his little house.  One day I may get a picture.  Doubt it though.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 08:06:18 pm »
sling= spiderling or baby yes, neat story, I would feed it fruit flys every other day or so. and I would put him in a small container so he or she can find the prey easier.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 08:20:01 pm »
My wine is not ready yet, so where on earth would I get fruit flies (LOL).  In reality, where does one get fruit flies?  I think that he is too big and they are too small.  How do they get these little pests?  I don't think he could catch one.  Curious.  Great day. Cindi

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 01:02:11 am »
You can order fruit fly cultures online cheep which last quite a while, And they have flightless fruit flys which aren't the quickest. How big in CM's would you guess he is But if hes still the size of a dime this would be good, any ways different kinds of food helps growth! Try getting mini mealies too (tiny meal worms).

I have two T's now!
My friend gave me one of hers, her mom is keeping the other.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 01:12:18 am »
nepenthes, I have not actually held our T.  I am not afraid, I just don't think he would like it.  When I look at him when he is stuck on his wall, I would say his abdomen is about 4-5 cm, of course his legs extend much longer than that.  When we got him about one and one half years ago, his abdomen was the size of a dime.

I know nothing of this spider, I don't even know if it will bite, has venom or anything.  I have no wish to pick him up anyways, he is just fine where he lives.  If encouraged, I would not hesitate to pick him up, but I have no reason to.

I may find mealy worms for him, but he really does enjoy crickets, they are cheap, about 6 CDN cents each.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 01:16:55 pm »
Ok so hes a bigger Sling, but still not that big, hes just a youngin!

good luck, I personally wont hold my spiders unless they are interested, like how I got that picture was I was putting some water in its dish, and Then it walked over I set my hand down and waited patiently it made it over in about 5 min's onto my hand and I held it let it crawl around a bit. It was fun, but I don't recommend doing it on a regular basis. As long as hes happy, he probably wont get bigger until 3-4 years from now. From their If its a female it would live for a while, if its a male it will reach sexual maturity and die soon after. Males always have the crappy end of the stick in insect life!

Enjoy youre T' hope its female! They are the bigger and longer living part of most species.

anything