Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Hive - Small Hive Beetles - Sonny & Mel Trap  (Read 6792 times)

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
New Hive - Small Hive Beetles - Sonny & Mel Trap
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:31:58 pm »
I purchased a hive on Friday with about 4 frames built out.  It had a a deep and a super.  The super had some honey from another hive. 

Anyway, I was somewhat hesitant to buy the hive as the hive had noticbly more beetles than my other two hives but I really wanted to get another hive going and thought I could use my other two hives to boost this one up pretty quik.  I did find a good laying pattern and eggs....

I also figured it was a good opportunity to test the Sonny & Mel Trap that Linda has been trying and I needed to do that anyway as I was planning to put the trap in my other two haves since I have seen the beetles.

I knew immediately that I had to get the super off as there were not enough bees to protect all that area from the beetles and they still needed to fill out 5-6 frames before adding a super.  It was just part of the deal.

So I got the hives on Friday night and planned to open them up on Sat, put in the S & M trap and move a frame of brood from my strong hive to this new hive.  My inspector is coming on Monday so I figured I could check the trap then. 

So I made up the trap and bait just as Linda describes on her blog.  I let it steep in the FL sun most of the day.  I moved a frame of brood to this hive, removed all the frames from the super and set the trap in.  I know that bur comb may be an issue, but the beetles are a higher priority at the moment and I knew I would not leave the empty super on for long. 

This evening, I was doing my yard work and could not resist looking in this hive to check the trap.  I peaked in and from the side of the trap could see at least 10 beetles.  I could only see close to one of the sides as I did not turn it around and the top is solid.  I will have to wait to open the trap to get a good count.  I need sandwich boxes with clear tops for the next ones 

Anyway, I am happy to report it seems to be working.  I will post an update with a picture and actual count ASAP after the inspection tomorrow.

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
Re: New Hive - Small Hive Beetles - Sonny & Mel Trap
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:56:43 am »
I've been studying posts to this site and tillie's blog too. Pests are beginning to show up in my hive. 

I have a few small hive beetles (I saw 2 on the top cover and 2 on comb) and I had worms/maggots/larva on the bottom board.   I made a batch of the Mel and Sonny's bait and let it ferment over the weekend and I will be shopping for clear sandwich containers and fgmo today.

I was talking with my local expert (JT) and was advised to tighten up my hive too... eg remove the slatted rack and possibly one of the hive bodies, and remove the solid bottom board.  ( i didn't know  :? , when I put the slatted rack and the screened bottom board on, I just put them on top of the solid bottom board ).  He personally isn't fond of slatted racks anyway.  His feeling is that the extra space is harder for the bees to keep clean and gives the beetles (bugs) more room to hide, lay, etc. 

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:18:13 am »
Bee1
I just use screened bottom boards and I believe they are in place of the solid bottom board.  That is how I have seen all of them.  I don't know about the slatted rack as I have not used those.

The screen bottom board is to help with Varroa mites as well as ventilation.  I am in FL and ventilation is an issue much of the year and if the SBB gets me any help with Varroa, that is good too.

I think the guy I bought the hives from was not keeping his hives strong enough as he was doing rapid building of hives to sell.  My hive just came out of a nuke about 10 days ago.  My understanding is that if you give the SHB a bunch of area tha is not filled with bees, that they will increase their numbers rapidly. 

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:14:09 pm »
Mat, umh... Yeah, I just didn't realize a screened bb was "in place of" a solid bottom board till yesterdy.  I just stacked it on top of the solid one..  o well...  It gives me a reason to dig through the entire hive again and see what is going on.  I just need a good day for the bees and me cuz I notice alot of them buzzing around when the whole hive is down...

After talking with JT, I have a better idea how to look for signs of SHB infestation in the comb too...  ...wet comb may be a sign of SHB larva ... also, JT opened a hive or two and they both hand many more beetles than in mine so... Maybe I'm still ahead of the beetles. 

Slatted racks offer the bees "a little more breathing room"...  if they are bearding alot, slatted racks may reduce this behavior...  Why is this important?  ....So they don't swarm...  Does bearding always = swarming?  No -- sometimes it just means they are hot...

My greatest bee keeping accomplishment so far is that the hive is still going... even if there is no honey to speak of  (to the consternation of my husband).

ciao,
Bee1

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 08:22:31 am »
The inspection went well for all of my hives.

Regarding the beetle trap;  There were 10 beetles in the trap.  I thought there would be more but...   That is still only about 48hrs total so that is probably not bad.  While we were inspecting I easily killed a dozen beetles.  Alot of them hide in the same place and it is fairly easy to squash them with the hive tool.  Since I don't have to disturb the frames to kill the beetles, I may just open it up every few days for little while and try to kill as many beetles as I can. 

I am going to get a west hive beetle trap as well.  I really want to get these under control or they might make a mess of this weak hive. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 08:34:45 am »
Mat, umh... Yeah, I just didn't realize a screened bb was "in place of" a solid bottom board till yesterdy. 

There are two types of SBB,  one replaces the solid, and the other stacks on top of the solid, though I believe this type is usually referred to as a varroa trap or screen.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 09:21:40 am »
Mat, umh... Yeah, I just didn't realize a screened bb was "in place of" a solid bottom board till yesterdy. 

There are two types of SBB,  one replaces the solid, and the other stacks on top of the solid, though I believe this type is usually referred to as a varroa trap or screen.

Are we talking about two different things now?

1. Screen Bottom Board - this is in place of a standard bottom board.  The purpose is to let the varroa mites fall through the screen when they fall off after a powdered sugar treatment or any other time and then they are not able to reattach to a bee and they die.  https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=847
2. West Hive Beetle Trap - this goes on top of a the bottom board (screened or not) and when beetles fall or scury around they go into the trap and its design is such that they cannot get out.  The trap is filled with oil or lime to kill the beetles.  https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=724

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 09:26:47 am »
No,  I was referring to something like this for #2, not a SHB trap
http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=307
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 09:34:17 am »
No,  I was referring to something like this for #2, not a SHB trap
http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=307

Ok.  That is the same as the Screen Bottom Board I listed as well, just a different brand. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 09:51:53 am »
Ok.  That is the same as the Screen Bottom Board I listed as well, just a different brand. 

Not really,  the one you listed would be the #1 case where it replaced the solid bottom board.  The one I referenced from BetterBee sits on top of the solid bottom board and would be case #2 and could be the type that Bee1 was referring to.  The Betterbee picture may be confusing because they show it on a sbb with a tray.  The solid bottom board is not included.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 11:08:44 am »
Ok, I see.

I guess the right answer depends on the type of screen board using.

I use a home made screened bottom boards where 100% of the bottom is #8 hardware cloth and even the landing board is hardware cloth.  There is sticky board or tray under these.  The mites just fall abut 10" to the ground and hopefully they won't make there way back up.

I do want to make new ones that have an option to put in a sticky board so that I can get a mite count.  Or as you said, I can just use the SHB traps and the mites will die in there too.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 02:37:16 pm »
UPDATE

My sonny and mel trap lost its vigor after a couple of days. I took it out on Saturday and still only a count of 10 beetles. The count was 10 a week ago as well. I still had some liquid but obviously it lost its potency. I still have alot of beetles but I did squish alot of them when I inspected the hive on Sat.

I installed a West Small Hive beetle trap and pulled out the S & M trap. I will let that sit for a few weeks and see what happens.

If the lure has to be replaced freqently in the sonny and mel trap, I think that will be too difficult to maintain. 

I was also told by a local long time beekeeper and bee equipment supplier that he has found the West Beetle Trap to work well and most times, it is only needed on the weekest of the hives as the beetles will usually migrate to that hive.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 11:43:02 pm »
In the heat, the alcohol in the lure evaporates and it needs to be renewed at least once a week to be effective.  I am finding that the beetles love it but I do have to replace or add to the lure every week to keep it operational.

Linda T in Atlanta

anything