Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees scratching around the entrance  (Read 822 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Bees scratching around the entrance
« on: July 20, 2019, 10:20:18 pm »
I am worried about the hive. The amount of bee traffic and congestion at the hive entrance has really dropped. I know I have hive beetles, but it seemed to be in hand, and the hive was strong. NOW the bees seem to be agitated around the entrance during the day, and they do a lot of scratching on the exterior wood around the entrance. I have not been able to get into the hive this past week, and have not a thorough inspection for several weeks at least, although they have enough empty frames to keep them busy. I have been trying to stay out of the hive during this hot weather.
Any particular issue I should look for when I go into the hive tomorrow (Sunday)? Swarmed without me noticing? Slimed SHB frames? Backfilled brood nest? I looked closely at them last time and saw no varroa mite spots on them. Perhaps the queen has laid off rearing brood during the dearth of these past weeks? Maybe I unknowingly rolled the queen some time ago.
I am not sure I even know what to look for. (sorry for the bad picture)

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Bees scratching around the entrance
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 11:57:38 pm »
I would not jump to any conclusion by a change in outside appearance.  There could be several reasons for any change, some good and some bad.  The only real way to tell is with an inspection.  I would just look for the essentials.  Laying queen, room for stores,  room in broodnest, and overall condition of the hive.  This time of year I don't usually dig deep into a hive unless there is definitely a major problem.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: Bees scratching around the entrance
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 12:07:18 am »
Sounds like washboarding on the outside. Don?t think anyone knows why they do it.