Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queenless hive, trying new approach.  (Read 5005 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Queenless hive, trying new approach.
« on: July 20, 2019, 03:49:18 pm »
I have one hive that is queenless.  This hive, 5 frame nuc, was created from remains, 4 deep frames of a queen castle that was time to be dismantled.  So what to do with this queenless hive created about a week ago.

1.  I could newspaper combine.
2.  Provide a frame of eggs and young larva and let the bees make their own queen.
3.  Provide grafted larva for queen production.

Well, I tell ya, I did #2 and #3.

The bees made 2 queen cells from a frame of young larva.  Then I added a total of 6, six grafted larva and the bees accepted 5.  Time will tell if all 5 are made into capped queen cells.

This hive is not strong, remains of a queen castle, so I added a frame of pollen and bee bread.

I have never used an incidental queenless hive to raise queens.  This is all new territory to me.  I have read, studied, been told: raising queens takes lots of resources so when queen rearing I have always provided resources to the max: many nurse bees and lots of food.

For newbies: My queen castle consists of a 10 frame deep hive body that has sealed 4 compartments, each compartment with it own entrance.  Each compartment holds 2 deep frames, bees, and a virgin queen to make natural mating flights.  Once the queen is mated and laying she is ready for her own hive.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Queenless hive, trying new approach.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 03:57:21 pm »

Showing 2 of 4 separated entrances.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 03:57:53 pm »

I placed 2 frames into 2 middle compartments for viewing.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:58:34 pm »

Top boards keep the compartments sealed when the lid is removed.  This way there is no mixing of bees as I remove only one top board at a time.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 03:59:20 pm »

Complete with lid now on the sealed compartments.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 05:35:01 pm »
That?s interesting. I?ll have to try that someday

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 06:25:57 pm »
Van,
What is the success ratio with your queen castle?
I have built 2 different types with 0 success. One was a 3 hive, 3 deep frame castle and the other is a 4 medium 1/2 frames making a 4 hive castle.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 07:47:37 pm »
Similar results as sawduster with multi compartment queen castles.

The castles work great once a queen is mated and she needs a place to figure out her equipment and get a brood pattern established. It is basically a luxury queen bank.  Queens an their support staff complete with workout gym (combs to lay).

I have not had much luck with castles for getting the queens mated.  For mating, higher success in having queens in separate boxes.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 08:36:31 pm »
Van,
What is the success ratio with your queen castle?
I have built 2 different types with 0 success. One was a 3 hive, 3 deep frame castle and the other is a 4 medium 1/2 frames making a 4 hive castle.
Jim Altmiller

Jim, in 2018 I had 50 percent success.  This year was 75%.  Only takes one queen to make the difference between 50 verses 75 percent.  This year, I have noticed very few robber flies, last year was horrible for robber flies.  That is in 2018 there were lots of robber flies, most I have ever seen so I was pleased with 50% success.  A honey bee has no chance against these predators know as robber flies: so fast and deadly.
Van

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 08:49:48 pm »
Similar results as sawduster with multi compartment queen castles.

The castles work great once a queen is mated and she needs a place to figure out her equipment and get a brood pattern established. It is basically a luxury queen bank.  Queens an their support staff complete with workout gym (combs to lay).

I have not had much luck with castles for getting the queens mated.  For mating, higher success in having queens in separate boxes.

Luxury queen condo lol.
HO, can I guess your queens are getting lost on return flight to a castle, therefore individual boxes are better??  How do you maintain so many individual boxes?  My understanding is you are a mega queen breeder.  How many queens do you raise at a time?  I graft about 16 larva at a time, a whole lot fewer than the mega breeders.
Van

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 08:54:01 pm »
Robber fly as mentioned in reply #8, with yellow jacket, deadly to honeybees.

Van
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:06:57 pm by van from Arkansas »

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 12:12:56 am »
I?ve seen them before. And most times with something. Didn?t know what they where.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 08:21:22 am »
Van,
I have robber  flies here also. I have found them holding onto one of my bees but I have only seen 3 of them total. The last one I saw was in my Breese way and it was eating a horse fly. 🤗

Last year I went up to Georgia to get hay. On the way I saw a queen breeder placing small mating boxes on the ground. They were about a 6 inch cube box and they were in a almost perfect grid pattern that was about 40 by 40 or more. That is 1600 mating boxes. At $20 a queen, that is $32000 dollars worth of queens if they all made it. Pretty impressed.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 04:38:18 pm »
We have robber flies around here that mimic bumble bees very convincingly.  There is one that hangs around at the side of our house regularly, and it is huge.  I don't have much trouble with them and my bees, but they are quite a formidable predator insect.  :cool:

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 03:53:55 pm »
Follow up:  see first post,,,, making queens cells from left over bees.

The bees did make and finish two capped queen cells.  However, they are small queen cells, I am not impressed as of this date 7/27/19.  Next week the queens should hatch, no guarantees at this point and we will see if the queens are worthy.
Blessings
Van

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 10:32:12 pm »
Follow up:  see first post,,,, making queens cells from left over bees.

The bees did make and finish two capped queen cells.  However, they are small queen cells, I am not impressed as of this date 7/27/19.  Next week the queens should hatch, no guarantees at this point and we will see if the queens are worthy.
Blessings
Van

Good luck 🍀 Let is know.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 10:35:33 pm »
Van,
I have robber  flies here also. I have found them holding onto one of my bees but I have only seen 3 of them total. The last one I saw was in my Breese way and it was eating a horse fly. 🤗

Last year I went up to Georgia to get hay. On the way I saw a queen breeder placing small mating boxes on the ground. They were about a 6 inch cube box and they were in a almost perfect grid pattern that was about 40 by 40 or more. That is 1600 mating boxes. At $20 a queen, that is $32000 dollars worth of queens if they all made it. Pretty impressed.
Jim Altmiller

Jim that is impressive. I would like to see a syrup like that. I don?t know of a breeder in my area that is of that scale.  Sounds like this fellow knows his stuff. Did you get his name?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 02:26:31 pm »
No. We did not stop. We were hauling a 40 foot trailer loaded with 34-1000 pound rolls of hay.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 01:09:31 pm »
A queen hatched 7/28, destroyed her sisters in the other queen cells.  I laid eyes on the virgin queen this day.  Now to see if she returns from a mating flight.

Next inspection for this hive is two weeks, mid August, and hopefully I will see eggs and larva.  So far so good.
Van

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 09:43:30 pm »
A queen hatched 7/28, destroyed her sisters in the other queen cells.  I laid eyes on the virgin queen this day.  Now to see if she returns from a mating flight.

Next inspection for this hive is two weeks, mid August, and hopefully I will see eggs and larva.  So far so good.
Van

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 for you Sir.