Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extract some honey?  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
Extract some honey?
« on: July 18, 2019, 09:33:55 pm »
My 1st year bees (June 6) have fully capped 4 of 8 deep frames in the honey super.  They?re partially done another 2 and haven?t done much on the other 2.  Would it be an idea to harvest the 4 full ones and put some empties back in to get them drawing out some more? 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Extract some honey?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 11:06:41 pm »
How do you plan to harvest? Extraction, crush and strain, other?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 11:56:22 pm »
I have a 2 frame manual extractor. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 12:24:07 am »
Do your bees in your brood box have plenty of honey stores on the outer edges of your brood frames? Also, are the outside two frames, in your brood box loaded in honey? If so, it is my opinion that you can harvest your 4 frames if you wish. Are you in a flow in your area? A dearth? If in a dearth I would place the extracted combs back into the super using the checkerboard method, also adding a robbing screen, feeding your bees sugar syrup. You should be ok and the bees will soon fill the extracted combs with syrup. However, I would not extract any more from this hive after this extraction because you will only have sugar syrup honey , not real honey. Now, if you are in a flow, extract, feed nothing, let the bees work the nectar flow and refill with real honey. Affording you the opportunity to extract more at a later date. Of course it?s getting late and you will more than likely have to feed this fall, depending on your local area and fall flow. Best of luck to you .
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 01:17:13 am »
The brood box is as you describe.  Most brood frames have honey on the corners and the outsides are all honey. 

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 12:34:58 am »
Inspected today, what I thought were fully capped frames are only 30-50%.  I have view windows I can look in and the frames are capped down the edge so I thought they were full.  3 of the frames are full of honey, just not fully capped.  So no harvest for sure.  I put a medium brooder on the deep brood box I had as it was full and they were making queen cells.  Now no more queen cells and there?s capped brood up in the medium super so I?m happy about that but the flow is slowing down here so maybe they?re using the honey to feed and build comb?  I?ll keep monitoring but no harvest for me right now...

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 09:42:48 am »
  Would it be an idea to harvest the 4 full ones and put some empties back in to get them drawing out some more?
No.  A new hive is June will have all it can do to survive winter.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 10:15:12 am »
  Would it be an idea to harvest the 4 full ones and put some empties back in to get them drawing out some more?
No.  A new hive is June will have all it can do to survive winter.

I started 5 new nuc boxes last fall following David?s instructions at BarnyardBees and all five made it, not only made it but came out of winter thriving.. 
Phillip

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 12:53:29 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I think a smaller nuc may be better off just for the fewer numbers to care for.  My hive already has a 2nd medium brood super put on for expansion and there?s already capped brood on it.  I just don?t want the uncapped frames to mold or go bad.  Plus all the extra work they have to do now with drawing out the remainder of those frames and the flow is definitely slowing here.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 08:33:25 am »
Phill, he is not in Mississippi.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 09:25:13 am »

That is true Ace, but he is not in Canadas far North either. Michale Palmer over winters  5 frame Nucs successfully.there also. He has a very interesting video. I think it is titled beekeeping in the far North. Ian Stepper also takes his honey and feeds in late fall. Difference Ian does place his hives inside a building. Michael has snow to the top of his hives,  both do well. Management is the key. I realize some folks don?t like to feed sugar syrup. In that case That would be a different matter.
Phillip

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 01:27:36 pm »
Here in the Vancouver area our weather is pretty much the same as Seattle.  Rarely does it freeze here although the last couple of years we've had snow stick for a few weeks with temps to -10C (20F).  That said, no worse than the northeastern US the last few years by any stretch.  The bees have been bringing in a fair bit of pollen still.  Hard to tell if any nectar's coming in but they're still flying in and out like crazy so they must be up to something :)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 01:43:06 pm »
I am wishing you the best. It might help you if you were to watch the video feathering Mike Palmer. If you hav not already watched it.
Phillip

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 08:59:45 am »

That is true Ace, but he is not in Canadas far North either. Michale Palmer over winters  5 frame Nucs successfully.there also. He has a very interesting video. I think it is titled beekeeping in the far North. Ian Stepper also takes his honey and feeds in late fall. Difference Ian does place his hives inside a building. Michael has snow to the top of his hives,  both do well. Management is the key. I realize some folks don?t like to feed sugar syrup. In that case That would be a different matter.
Phillip
Your talking about experts with more than a few hives.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 09:48:06 am »
That also is true Ace, your points are valid. For the average new beekeeper this would be risky if the said is not willing to do everything necessary to do it right.  He ask if it would be ok to take 4 frames of honey from his late swarm. He said he would be extracting,  so he would be able to put the empties right back inside for refilling. That in itself is also risky, being it is probably new comb and probably soft white comb. Is the foundation plastic? Is it reinforced wax? That must also be considered. Does he have extracting experience?  Will the comb be blown out?  We still have at least two more months in my area for fall build up, (I do not know his environment), And that number is convective. Yes. It can be done. But IF AND ONLY IF done with proper follow up. In another topic we are discussing  hive splitting. One of our members is wanting to not take honey but make entire splits this late in the season. This can also be done, IF AND ONLY IF done properly. I have STRONGLY suggested he purchase mated queens. Especially this late. We can learn a lot from these professional keepers who run many hives, who make their living from bees, if we pay close attention and follow their guide lines to the letter. If we are not willing to do what is necessary, then of corse I agree with you, do not do it.
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:17:19 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 12:19:32 pm »
Well I'm not far north in Canada.  Pretty much same weather as Seattle.  Hardiness 8a on the chart.  Right now at best I might get 2-3 frames after checking this last weekend so as of now I'm not doing anything.  Also not splitting.  If it was June I probably would but not this close to August with my very limited experience.  I'll try it next year but my main goal this year is to have live bees come March.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 02:27:47 pm »
Well I'm not far north in Canada.  Pretty much same weather as Seattle.  Hardiness 8a on the chart.  Right now at best I might get 2-3 frames after checking this last weekend so as of now I'm not doing anything.  Also not splitting.  If it was June I probably would but not this close to August with my very limited experience.  I'll try it next year but my main goal this year is to have live bees come March.

I wasn?t suggesting  splitting a A June swarm hive, I only  mentioned that on this topic as to show what can be done if done properly.The splits I did late last fall were from a 20 frame strong hive which was knocked over.  I will add I would not have split it then had I not thought the queen was lost. What seemed like a bad situation turned out to be a good situation with my particular situation. Instead  of a chance of possibly loosening this one strong hive, I came out of winter with 5 very srtong nucs. Thanks to advise from David at barnyard bees and folks like him. wishing you the best.
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:47:38 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 02:47:32 pm »
Thanks Phillip.  I'm hoping to split at least once next spring, maybe even catch a swarm!  One hive is definitely NOT enough.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 02:49:09 pm »
Thanks Phillip.  I'm hoping to split at least once next spring, maybe even catch a swarm!  One hive is definitely NOT enough.

Your very welcome...

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 09:02:23 am »
I'm hoping to split at least once next spring,
Good idea.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it