Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 8 frame hive dimensions?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
8 frame hive dimensions?
« on: July 16, 2019, 07:16:52 pm »
Does anybody have any plans for building 8 frame deep hives using simple butt joints? I believe in wood glue and screws enough that I don't want to dovetail,  or rabbet joint the ends. Plus I keep my hives painted and in good shape.  I build lots of "barn doors" and always have a ton of scrap I want to put to use.
Take a kid fishing !

Online cao

• Super Bee
Re: 8 frame hive dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 11:40:55 pm »
8 frame equipment width dimension varies by manufacturer.  Mann lake's outside dimensions are 14" x 19⅞".  Western bee supply dimension 13 3/4".  I felt that both were too wide.  I built my 8 frame boxes 13 1/2 wide.  I use butt joint for all my boxes.  So if you build everything, I would advise making them 13 1/2" wide.  That would make the end boards 12" long x 9 5/8" wide.  The side boards for all would be 9 5/8" wide x 19 7/8" long.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 12:17:19 pm »
Thank you sir! With those measurements are you using a router and making frame rests or are you putting a "block" inside the box on both ends to sit frames on?
Take a kid fishing !

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 02:56:23 pm »
I like the space the 14" provides.  It is wide, but allows for easy frame manipulation.  It also seems to work well with commercial stuff that is out there for when you must purchase something.  But, that is just a vote; do as you wish.

I have done rabbets for the frame rests with both a router and table saw.  That depends on what is available.  I wouldn't do a block, but that also depends on what materials you have available.

My boxes made with butt joints are still in use after 5 years, but they have a tendency to get out of square.  Just be careful in use since they don't hold up as well as the finger joints.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 04:27:09 pm »
We rebate the ends as it is easier than finger jointing.
Good glue "Titebond 3". which is made in USA and 4 x 2" screws per join.
With 22mm pine, outside dimensions are 355 x 508 with rebated frame holders. 14" x 20" x 7/8" for the non converted

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 10:10:53 pm »
Thank you sir! With those measurements are you using a router and making frame rests or are you putting a "block" inside the box on both ends to sit frames on?

Actually I make two cuts with a table saw to make the rabbit for the frame rest.  I find it easier than a router.

anything