Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 5178 times)

Offline StraferX

• New Bee
Re: Ticks
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 10:27:23 am »
Here in the mountains of West Virginia we have plenty of coyotes and they used to check out my chicken house at night. My 2 dogs will chase them down and drag one home from time to time but I prefer to shoot them  long range before they get close. Solar motion sensor lights at the chicken coop that have been modified with a buzzer generally makes them run.
As for me and my house, We WILL serve the Lord.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 09:14:27 am »
Nock, last night I watched a special report about Lyme disease and ticks. The following is not the exact article but related. Plum island, off of Long Island is one of the supposed research areas that was involved. Now, easternLong Island is a trouble spot. The following article does not go into detail but hits the highlights. Incognito be aware.
Phillip 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-passes-amendment-ordering-pentagon-to-investigate-whether-ticks-were-weaponized/

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/lone-star-tick-sbu-1.17989946

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-orders-pentagon-to-review-whether-it-turned-ticks-into-biological-weapons
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:03:58 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 09:43:42 am »
Nock, last night I watched a special report about Lyme desires and ticks. The following is not the exact article but related. Plumb island, off of Long Island is one of the supposed research areas that was involved. Now, easternLong Island is a trouble spot. The following article does not go into detail but hits the highlights. Incognito be aware.
Phillip 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-passes-amendment-ordering-pentagon-to-investigate-whether-ticks-were-weaponized/

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/lone-star-tick-sbu-1.17989946
Oh, I am aware.

17 miles from Plum Island, NY to Lyme, Ct. Merely a coincidence!
I hunt deer in the woods of Southold township. Plum Island is part of that town. Some hunters will not go there because of the ticks.
I use sawyer permethrin to guard against ticks.
https://www.questoutdoors.com/sawyer-permethrin-12oz-trigger-spray-for-clothing.html?id=32164849&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv_q164DB4wIVDT0MCh2D1ASUEAQYBCABEgLPVPD_BwE
Tom

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 11:27:20 am »
Nock, yes, I have seen ticks on my hives.  I believe the ticks are attracted to vibrations of bees and carbon dioxide.

BenFramed: Plum Island was a pathogen lab with P4 security rating circa 2005, if we are talking the same lab as there may be more than one lab on plum island.  Plum island was very secretive, kinda weird if ya ask me.   Then in 2005 Rocky Mtn Laboratory added a P4 facility.

Not possible for a tick to escape a P4 laboratory, there are only a hand full of P4 labs in the world.  Doors open automatically with sensors on personnel, air is incinerated, sealed vented space suits are required when working with P4 pathogens such as Ebola.  I worked at Rocky Mtn Lab for over 2 decades.  Federal armed guards are at every entrance.  Identification is always displayed.  Armed guards always present.  Personnel is scrutinized, finger printed, even my blood was taken every year, checked and stored to this day.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 11:48:12 am »
Nock, yes, I have seen ticks on my hives.  I believe the ticks are attracted to vibrations of bees and carbon dioxide.

BenFramed: Plum Island was a pathogen lab with P4 security rating circa 2005, if we are talking the same lab as there may be more than one lab on plum island.  Plum island was very secretive, kinda weird if ya ask me.   Then in 2005 Rocky Mtn Laboratory added a P4 facility.

Not possible for a tick to escape a P4 laboratory, there are only a hand full of P4 labs in the world.  Doors open automatically with sensors on personnel, air is incinerated, sealed vented space suits are required when working with P4 pathogens such as Ebola.  I worked at Rocky Mtn Lab for over 2 decades.  Federal armed guards are at every entrance.  Identification is always displayed.  Armed guards always present.  Personnel is scrutinized, finger printed, even my blood was taken every year, checked and stored to this day.

Van, I was not suggesting that the ticks escaped. Which is the closest to impossible as can be contained by humans . I know all little about the security there. I have a friend that worked there and she told me it is one of, if not the best security facilities anywhere. That is all she would or did tell me. But that was enough to Concur with what are saying, you are right very secretive. I was pointing out that eastern Long Island, which is just across the way is infested with ticks carrying Lyme disease.  There is a high danger there . Very mush higher than a normal infestation in particular area. The News people are now talking about this. And. the House is investigating possible practices by the military concerning ticks and Lyme disease, this is what I was talking about.  Concerned for and warning my New York friends about this, especially residents of that area who may not have heard of this sever threat. Namely incognito. Was who I was  thinking about as I see he lives on Long Island. I must have not been clear on this, and thank you for pointing this out  giving me an opportunity to  make my intent clear.
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:04:16 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 02:55:22 pm »
Ben, agree with your post.  All I can say about Plum Island is already stated.  Very secretive, very secure and as you pointed out, not by me,  but Military operation, Your correct, as usual Mr. Ben.  Now no more talk about Plum Island or US Marshall?s are gonna be knocking on our doors.

Ticks are average in Arkansas this year, which means, one step off driveway and I find a tick on me.  Last year I acquired tick fever from a tick which I am fairly sure the tick came from my apiary area.... lots of clover, lots of deer, lots of ticks.  I now wear treated boots if I walk in grass in apiary off trail or almost guaranteed a tick bite if no treated boots.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 03:43:18 pm »
Ben, agree with your post.  All I can say about Plum Island is already stated.  Very secretive, very secure and as you pointed out, not by me,  but Military operation, Your correct, as usual Mr. Ben.  Now no more talk about Plum Island or US Marshall?s are gonna be knocking on our doors.

Ticks are average in Arkansas this year, which means, one step off driveway and I find a tick on me.  Last year I acquired tick fever from a tick which I am fairly sure the tick came from my apiary area.... lots of clover, lots of deer, lots of ticks.  I now wear treated boots if I walk in grass in apiary off trail or almost guaranteed a tick bite if no treated boots.
Blessings

?Now no more talk about Plum Island or US Marshall?s are gonna be knocking on our doors.?

😁. Yes they may, hopping on our steps like grasshoppers, as they say .  :wink:

When I was s boy one of our Neighbors went on a church camp outing in Hardy, Arkansas. She came home very sick, running a high fever. The doctors Diagnosed, to late, tick fever.  I am happy that you caught yours in time. I don?t blame you for your precautions, especially in your area. Is tick fever a common problem there? Can you contact it once you have had it or does your body develop an immunity? Be safe and take care Mr Van.
Blessings back to you.
Phillip 

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 04:51:39 pm »
I figure it?s a matter of time before I come down with something.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 05:31:22 pm »
As some other members have mentioned, chickens or guineas are great for tick control. When we first moved to our property our dogs were picking up lots of ticks, even though their flea meds are supposed to help with ticks. Our Pomeranian especially had trouble since she?s basically walking Velcro. After we let our chickens free range and even now with the chickens just in the back yard the ticks have decreased significantly.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2019, 06:58:47 pm »

Blessings

?Now no more talk about Plum Island or US Marshall?s are gonna be knocking on our doors.?

😁. Yes they may, hopping on our steps like grasshoppers, as they say .  :wink:

When I was s boy one of our Neighbors went on a church camp outing in Hardy, Arkansas. She came home very sick, running a high fever. The doctors Diagnosed, to late, tick fever.  I am happy that you caught yours in time. I don?t blame you for your precautions, especially in your area. Is tick fever a common problem there? Can you contact it once you have had it or does your body develop an immunity? Be safe and take care Mr Van.
Blessings back to you.
Phillip

Mr. Ben, my body would have developed immunity only to the particular tick disease I was exposed to.  There are at least 6 different tick borne diseases with more discovered as time goes on.

Member, agreed guineas are great at eradicating ticks.  However, my area is restricted and no fowl is allowed.  This is to protect my property from a chicken/hog ranch opening up next door.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2019, 10:29:41 pm »
Mr. Ben, my body would have developed immunity only to the particular tick disease I was exposed to.  There are at least 6 different tick borne diseases with more discovered as time goes on.

Yes lymes being one. I do not recognize  the other 4?
We do not have the chicken 🐓 restriction here as far as owning chickens 🐓 go; except; the restriction that my wife has placed. We have side walks around our home, to our garden, patio area and flower garden, dog pen area further from the house and shop, plus a wrap around deck joining our sunroom and built in screened porch area as well as along the back of our home. The evidence left on those places by the chickens is something that she just can?t seem to understand or get use to ???    😁
So I can?t argue with that, she is very tolerant and puts up with everything else.
Phillip

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2019, 11:26:37 pm »
I believe the government has released too many diseases upon us people https://apple.news/A-HF9qi2BOQy0EXgPrZDQjA
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 12:08:30 am »
I believe the government has released too many diseases upon us people https://apple.news/A-HF9qi2BOQy0EXgPrZDQjA

Anything is possible, but Salty I hope not. I will look at your link when I have more concentration time in the morning.
Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2019, 12:24:01 am »

Nock, are the ticks only in that one area of you dwelling or apiary area, or are they like that all over you surroundings? Is this at your home. If so, in a sever situation, I would seriously consider Members recommendation of chickens or guineas. Especially game chickens.  They are like tick vacuum cleaners!
Phillip

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2019, 01:37:55 am »
Not possible for a tick to escape a P4 laboratory....
I want to believe you. But no human effort is perfect.
Are you certain that every crack and crevice in the building / lab is sealed - where the electric, pluming and ventilation run through the walls, ceiling, floor?
There is no crack anywhere where a tick can call through, none?
Foundations don't settle? Windows don't leak?
The systems never failed or were down for maintenance from time to time.

Every mishap was reported?

The east end of Long Island is loaded with tick hosting deer.

Seals frequent Plumb Island, do they host ticks?

The ferry to Connecticut is real close to the ferry to Plum Island.

I will remain skeptical about where Lyme disease originated.

Tick precautions for the Long Island woods:
Wear a permethrin treated skin tight base layer and hat- think scent free garments used for hunting, thin baseball socks over regular socks. Use the permethrin around all openings such as cuffs, collars, zippers and let dry (you don't need to treat the entire garment). You don't need to treat the outer garments if you treat the base layer. Keep everything tucked into each other. Wear treated high rubber boots. Undress in the garage on a treated tarp. I also lay down a permethrin treated bed sheet in the back of my SUV that I store my hunting gear on. I store my hunting clothes in sealed bags with a treated washcloth thrown in for good measure. Check all cracks and crevices for ticks especially at the waist line and hair. Get tested and treated immediately if you find a tick embedded in you.
Tom

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2019, 02:28:54 am »
Not possible for a tick to escape a P4 laboratory....
Are you certain that every crack and crevice in the building / lab is sealed - where the electric, pluming and ventilation run through the walls, ceiling, floor?
There is no crack anywhere where a tick can call through, none?
Foundations don't settle? Windows don't leak?
The systems never failed or were down for maintenance from time to time.

Every mishap was reported?

The east end of Long Island is loaded with tick hosting deer.

Seals frequent Plumb Island, do they host ticks?

The ferry to Connecticut is real close to the ferry to Plum Island.

I will remain skeptical about where Lyme disease originated.

Tick precautions for the Long Island woods:
Wear a permethrin treated skin tight base layer and hat- think scent free garments used for hunting, thin baseball socks over regular socks. Use the permethrin around all openings such as cuffs, collars, zippers and let dry (you don't need to treat the entire garment). You don't need to treat the outer garments if you treat the base layer. Keep everything tucked into each other. Wear treated high rubber boots. Undress in the garage on a treated tarp. I also lay down a permethrin treated bed sheet in the back of my SUV that I store my hunting gear on. I store my hunting clothes in sealed bags with a treated washcloth thrown in for good measure. Check all cracks and crevices for ticks especially at the waist line and hair. Get tested and treated immediately if you find a tick embedded in you.

This is not good. If the infected tick does bite you, can the damage to you body be avoided or stopped with early treatment? Is there and inoculation for this disease?
Phillip

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2019, 02:40:13 am »
This is not good. If the infected tick does bite you, can the damage to you body be avoided or stopped with early treatment? Is there and inoculation for this disease?
Phillip
Yes, there is early detection and treatment.
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/treatment/index.html
There used to be an inoculation.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/5/7/17314716/lyme-disease-vaccine-history-effectiveness

Tom

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2019, 02:42:22 am »
Phillip
Yes, there is early detection and treatment.
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/treatment/index.html
There used to be an inoculation.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/5/7/17314716/lyme-disease-vaccine-history-effectiveness

Thank you for the information.
Phillip

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2019, 10:50:46 am »

Nock, are the ticks only in that one area of you dwelling or apiary area, or are they like that all over you surroundings? Is this at your home. If so, in a sever situation, I would seriously consider Members recommendation of chickens or guineas. Especially game chickens.  They are like tick vacuum cleaners!
Phillip
I very rarely get any in my yard around the house. I brought the question up because of where my hives are currently. It?s a grown up field. Be prime tick ground. When they were at home I would notice a tick or two every now again on the hives. But nothing like where they are now. We do have chickens but they aren?t free ranging any at the moment. Still pretty small. But will be soon. I agree chickens do work for several things.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2019, 01:19:14 pm »

Agreed.  Please consider:  relate to escaping from a Russian high security prison.  Don?t know if you are familiar with such a prison.  I would say, prisoner escape not possible.

Anyway, I wear treated boots in my apiary and I still obtain an occasional tick.  Ticks are just part of my landscape.  I could spray and rid the ticks but I fear harm to my bees so I just endure the dad burn ticks as Hoss used to say on Bonanza.

anything