Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 5174 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Ticks
« on: July 10, 2019, 12:02:24 am »
Anyone else notice ticks on the outside of your hives?  I probably killed 20 today off both of mine. Something seems to attract them to it. Heat maybe?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Ticks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:07:23 am »
Anyone else notice ticks on the outside of your hives?  I probably killed 20 today off both of mine. Something seems to attract them to it. Heat maybe?

I have not noticed this Nock. Strange situation I agree, maybe others have and can explain?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:53:02 am »
I have never seen ticks on my hives. I will have to keep an eye for them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sledin

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 12:30:48 pm »
They are attracted to carbon dioxide, so the bees exhaling probably attracts them.

Are they causing any harm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 01:15:09 pm »
I haven't seen any ticka around a hive either. I have lots of deer here that are full of ticks. ... but I turn the chickens loose every day, and I'm guessing they clean up a lot of the ticks, along with a lot of other things.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 02:11:16 pm »
I remember hiding under a hay wagon turkey hunting in the rain in Ky and watching so many ticks crawling on me. So many tropical birds here in Florida May keep the pop down. Ice got fat mice roaming around my hives
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 05:18:21 pm »
They are attracted to carbon dioxide, so the bees exhaling probably attracts them.

Are they causing any harm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looked that up. Your right. Didn?t know that. They?re not bothering the bees.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 05:19:49 pm »
I will guess that it has nothing to do with the bees.  Any ticks in the hive? With that many ticks around you might consider some free range chickens. Lock them up at night so the predators don't get them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 05:47:32 pm »
I will guess that it has nothing to do with the bees.  Any ticks in the hive? With that many ticks around you might consider some free range chickens. Lock them up at night so the predators don't get them.

We had game chickens when I was young, Dare a tick to show himself!  :wink:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 05:51:37 pm »
We kill coyotes in broad day light trying Break into chickens.  I also killed one bobcat  from the green house.  Since the price of fur went West the young boys don't make spending money selling furs.  I have never seen ticks on any hive4s.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 05:58:55 pm »
Just to be sure...what you are seeing is ticks and not small hive beetles right?

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 07:51:23 pm »
Just to be sure...what you are seeing is ticks and not small hive beetles right?

Definitely ticks. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 11:53:04 pm »
That?s for sure. 😄
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 10:22:16 pm »
We kill coyotes in broad day light trying Break into chickens.  I also killed one bobcat  from the green house.  Since the price of fur went West the young boys don't make spending money selling furs.  I have never seen ticks on any hive4s.

Those coyotes are some rough customers all right.  Are there dogs of a certain breed do any good against coyotes?

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 11:12:13 pm »

Those coyotes are some rough customers all right.  Are there dogs of a certain breed do any good against coyotes?
Have you ever seen the Nightvision videos of what Coyotes do to dogs - even big dogs? ... they send in a female coyote that's in heat. She flirts with the dog, dancing, snuggling, and teasing him. As she plays with him, she slowly leads him away from home and into the open. At a certain point, she turns on him with absolute violence, just as the rest of the pack appears  (out of nowhere). It takes seconds before the dog is down - and they tear him to shreds. ...

The commentator on the videos I watched (some yrs ago now) said that no dog breed was immune to this approach from the coyotes. ... fwiw.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 11:25:27 pm »

Have you ever seen the Nightvision videos of what Coyotes do to dogs - even big dogs? ... they send in a female coyote that's in heat. She flirts with the dog, dancing, snuggling, and teasing him. As she plays with him, she slowly leads him away from home and into the open. At a certain point, she turns on him with absolute violence, just as the rest of the pack appears  (out of nowhere). It takes seconds before the dog is down - and they tear him to shreds. ...

The commentator on the videos I watched (some yrs ago now) said that no dog breed was immune to this approach from the coyotes. ... fwiw.

I have not seen one of those videos Alan. Cunning, Conniving, Creatures!!

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 12:18:16 am »

Amazing how smart and adaptable coyotes are!  Although I do believe I know of a kind of dog that would be immune to this technique . . . a female dog!   :wink:  :cheesy:  Seriously though, the cunning of coyotes is one of the reasons we have both a male and a female LGD (livestock guardian dog). This way when the coyotes try a trick like this to lure away a dog, one dog goes to investigate the threat (usually the male) and the other dog (usually the female) will stay with the livestock. Thankfully we don?t have much trouble with coyotes around us though, because they sure are tricky!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 12:34:27 am »

Amazing how smart and adaptable coyotes are!  Although I do believe I know of a kind of dog that would be immune to this technique . . . a female dog!   :wink:  :cheesy:  Seriously though, the cunning of coyotes is one of the reasons we have both a male and a female LGD (livestock guardian dog). This way when the coyotes try a trick like this to lure away a dog, one dog goes to investigate the threat (usually the male) and the other dog (usually the female) will stay with the livestock. Thankfully we don?t have much trouble with coyotes around us though, because they sure are tricky!

Good reasoning Member. Good Post!!  :grin:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 12:35:26 am »
... Although I do believe I know of a kind of dog that would be immune to this technique . . . a female dog!   :wink:  :cheesy:  ...

Touche!  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 10:50:33 pm »
Smartest critter in the wild. Lots of respect for them. But I catch every one I can.