Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sting swelling  (Read 7531 times)

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
sting swelling
« on: July 16, 2008, 10:50:50 am »
How long did it take for your body to get used to stings and they stopped swelling and itching, if that's how your body reacted?  My stings get all red and puffy and then have this deep itching you can't really scratch.  I used to live in Central America, and they have these little bloodsucking flies called sandflies.  I never liked the thought of spraying on DEET all the time so I let them bite.  They bit really hard and in big numbers and left a red circle that itched fiercely.  You'd scratch them until they bled.  After about 6 months my body got used to them.  No a red spot and no itching.  Still hurt when they bit but it would go away quick.  I am envisioning bee stings doing a similar progression with the immune system.  True?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: sting swelling
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:22:14 am »
maybe...

i still swell up like a balloon.  large area of swelling.  itching.  the whole works.  if i take a swig of benadryl right away, it is better.  also, and don't laugh, i have found that vagisil works well for the itching.

got stung two days ago on the hand and it is still swollen, but the itching is manageable.   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:46:37 am »
I must be lucky. I had never been stung as a child and didn't get my first sting until I started Bee Keeping. It's more of an annoyance than anything else. It's a quick little sting with just a slight bit of swelling that goes away in a few hours.

I'd try the topical ointments and find the once that works best. Hopefully, you'll build up some immunity to stings.

Please see my tag line at the bottom of my reply.  I think bee stings just come with the territory.

Hope you have a quick recovery.

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:52:46 am »
Do you know how hard it is for a guy to buy vagisil :? I'm lucky stings don't bother me much.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:23:32 pm »
it's not hard to buy.  just throw it in with the beer and no one will notice  :-D. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 02:02:34 pm »
My only sting so far was in the finger.  It was swollen for almost a week.  It was only sore for about a day.  The selling and the soreness were not bad.  More of an annoyance.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 03:30:57 pm »
this spring/summer I've been stung about 12 times.  Hands dont bother me abit anymore. Once on the top of the head (I have alot of hair that catches them) hurt bad and itched bad but the other day I got one on the inside of the wrist maybe in a vein of tendon that was like no other.  That one would wake me up at night it itched so bad for about 2 days and was very swelled right up my arm.  Point is some places are worse than others.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:32:26 pm »
I found that stings to thin-skinned areas (inner arm, backs of thighs) had a larger reaction than thick skinned areas (fingers, hands). In a sensitive area, I would get a lot of swelling over the next 24 hours, followed by intense itchiness for about a week. Going into this year, that reaction was pretty standard. After doing a number of removals and getting quite a lot of stings during one of them, I don't get the swelling or itchiness anymore, just the immediate small reaction right after I've been stung (mosquito bit-looking thing) that goes away in an hour or so.

I would say that stinging yourself on purpose on a regular basis is probably the best way to build immunity, rather than just wait and take the stings as they come...it will just be over much faster, and then you don't have to worry so much about being stung.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 05:43:33 pm »
it's not hard to buy.  just throw it in with the beer and no one will notice  :-D. 

YEAH RIGHT that is one of those things no matter what the cashier will announce she needs a price check on guaranteed. no man has good enough luck to get by with that one :-D

Keith

Offline pcelar

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 05:51:24 pm »
My swelling is usually completely gone by 36-48 hrs. :)

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 06:10:36 pm »
I would say that stinging yourself on purpose on a regular basis is probably the best way to build immunity, rather than just wait and take the stings as they come...it will just be over much faster, and then you don't have to worry so much about being stung.

Moonshae, how do you sting yourself?

Offline Flygirl

• House Bee
  • ~ It's never to late to have a happy childhood ~
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:44:44 pm »
Last summer I got stung by two bees in the neck & my whole face & neck was swollen for a couple of weeks.  It was horribly painful.

This year I haven't gotten stung but I always wear my veil as I don't want a repeat of last year.  I bought some sting sticks & they work great!  I got them from Dadant but the pharmacist also recommended vagisil or monostat cream.  The sting sting gives longer relief.

FG
~ It's never too late to have a happy childhood ~

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 10:08:25 pm »
If I get stung at the ankle or calf area my legs get puffy like clay for a week( I thinks its edema...If I press on the meat it stays dented for a little while).
your friend,
john

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 10:18:15 pm »
  Michael Bush has posted about a weed that takes the sting out ,,, may be we will luck out and he will post the name of the weed again for us ....

MB YOU OUT THERE SOME PLACE ?????????
the kid

Offline Amanda

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 11:37:30 pm »
Was the weed Plantain?  I'm also hoping the stings will get better with time.  I got stung twice last week, and the swelling, pain and itching are just now starting to go away.  I got stung today above my eyelid, and right now I can't open that eye at all.  It's still swelling, too.  It's swelling under the eye as well, and I know it will only be worse in the morning.
~Amanda

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 08:37:07 am »
Moonshae, how do you sting yourself?

Grab a bee by the wings, and then touch her abdomen against the place you want to be stung. Usually, just the act of grabbing is enough to generate a sting as soon as she can touch you, but sometimes you have to touch a few times.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline pcelar

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 10:59:01 am »
I got stung today above my eyelid
Didn't you have head protection?

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 11:12:48 am »

Ouch!!!  I'm getting used to going without gloves, but I'm keeping the veil on.  The way my arms are puffing up I can only imagine how my head would turn into a watermelon!  My wife gets stung and you can't even see where it happened.  At least neither of us is allergic.  We were a little concerned about that until we both got stung.  A puffy lump is vastly preferable to the alternative!

Offline Amanda

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 12:51:18 pm »

No, I'm an idiot, but I'm paying for it.  My dad got stung on his nose at the same time, and it didn't even turn red.  It's a shame, I was really looking forward to seeing him with his nose all swollen.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 10:00:52 pm »
 Uh Oh Amanda, you should not have admitted that. Now everyone will want a picture.
 My swelling has gotten far less with more stings. First sting on the top of the forearm drove me crazy with itching and swelling. I was stung 3 or 4 times on Sunday, once on the face, some itching on my leg and ear, little swelling, all gone by Tuesday. Probably 15 stings this year.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 10:15:54 pm »

[/quote]

No, I'm an idiot, but I'm paying for it.  My dad got stung on his nose at the same time, and it didn't even turn red.  It's a shame, I was really looking forward to seeing him with his nose all swollen.
[/quote]

yes it was the weed Plantain?

I guess if your an Idiot ,,,   then I must bee a bigger one ,,,,   I never wear
 protection  and I take my shirt off , I got stung more with one on then off ,,as the girls like to crawl up from the bottom  and get pinched then sting .. this year I have only two stings and one was my fault ..     the other
got me on the rib .. felt like I was hit by a golf ball ,  hurt like that for a week ,,,

the kid

Offline pcelar

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 10:57:30 am »

I would ALWAYS wear a veil. I know someone who lost his eye due to his being macho. It is not worth it. Period.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 11:17:12 am »
the kid.  The plant that Michael was speaking of is indeed plantain.  There are two species of it that I know of, the broad-leafed and spear type, both both well.  Use that for just about any insect bite to quell pain and itch.  It works. Beautiful and most wonderful day, love this life we live. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 07:55:08 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 09:30:36 am »
I tried stinging myself yesterday - twice on top of the forearm and let the stingers stay in for a while.  Bees helped too, got one in the knee through my pants earlier while working the hive but it came out quick when I moved.  But as far as the arm...WOW, deep soreness and swelling from my wrist almost to my elbow, starting in the middle of the night.  Kind of like I got whacked really hard and deeply bruised.  It's like the whole muscles hurt.  I consider myself to have a pretty high pain threshold, but man!  It's hard to type or move the computer mouse.  I think maybe I'll do one at a time in the future.  It'll be great when I don't have this response any longer.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 10:18:47 am »
I was showing a friend my bee's yesterday and I got a sting under my thumb nail didn't hurt to bad but it is sore this morning
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

anything