Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problems with trap-out  (Read 1585 times)

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
Problems with trap-out
« on: May 09, 2012, 01:51:28 pm »
Hi everyone. I just did my first trap-out from a tree. I did not have any brood to offer so I offered the bees new queen. After I sealed all I could see that would allow bees to go back to the tree they started exploring the box and everything looked okay. The next day I found out that they found a tiny hole to get back in the tree so I sealed it and sealed other possible ways they could get back inside. However, they managed to find another small crack in one of the tree branches about 4 feet away from the hive so I plugged that one also. Every time I restricted them to go back, they started to move in to my box and I could see some of the bees fanning out, what I suspect, the feramont that I hope tells me that the queen inside is alive. This queen had been caged on the 3rd and I am afraid that she may not be alive. Can anyone of you let me know hoe long a queen can be caged? Also, can you give me feedback on the fanning activity I saw previously? I would hate to get them out of the tree and set them up with the failure.
" It ain't over 'til it's over "........ Yogi Berra

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Problems with trap-out
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:41:56 pm »
How long has the queen been caged?   She needs attendants to feed and take care of her.   I bet she might be toast.   

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:50:34 pm »
She has been caged on the 3rd of this month. She had about 5 nurse bees with her. I received her on the 5th and set the trap the same day. I sprayed small amount of sugar water inside the cage but made sure I did not get any bees inside wet. There was a pretty good size sugar plug so I hope they had enough to eat. I hate to open the box now to take a look since I don't really want to disturb them from moving in. Anyway, as of today, she had been in the cage 6 days.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:01:15 pm »
Open the box. It won't hurt anything. You need to know her condition. You may get there in time to feed her. Take a marshmallow with you.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 06:49:25 pm »
Looking will not hurt anything. What you need to know is how to proceed and with out knowing the condition of the queen you can not. Will not take but a minute.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:13:43 pm »
Well, I took the liberty to go ahead and take a look. The cage was covered with bees and she looked well. She was definitely getting a lot of attention. I hope she will gain the scent of the old hive since she is completely covered and by the time they get her out she will be accepted.   

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 09:45:54 am »
Just got to thinking (makes my head hurt so I try to avoid it), but just a quick question............did you pull the cork out of the candy end of the queen cage?
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:47:24 am »
 :-D That would be crazy but yes the cork was removed and there was actually one bee inside the hole eating the candy. I forgot to remove the cork once and that was the very first time I got package of bees. The poor girls were trapped inside and I had to rescue them out.