Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bearding or getting ready to swarm?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
Bearding or getting ready to swarm?
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:35:01 pm »
It's 8:30 pm here and 88 degrees (feels like 90 degrees) outside. A thunderstorm just passed through.  The bees are bearding outside the entrance.

I added a 5th medium box with 8 foundationless frames a couple days ago.  They were fastooning in it earlier.  Other 4 boxes have good number of bees, brood, and capped stores.

I just had another hive from a cutout swarm a couple of days ago.

Are they getting ready to bolt?  Anything I should do?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Bearding or getting ready to swarm?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 10:37:35 pm »
They are only bearding. I would suggest putting a couple of the new frames in the brood chamber and moving a couple full ones up to replace them.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:31:31 pm »
That's what i thought, but wasn't sure.

A month or so ago, I had moved 4 frames from brood area and replaced them with four foundationless frames.  They have drawn most of them now.  I'll repeat the process in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the response.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 12:43:40 am »
Bearding during the day/evening doesn't seem to bee a swarm indicator. Bearding all night and continue to beard for a couple of days seems to bee a big indicator from what I have seen on my observation hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 01:16:58 am »
I totally agree with you Jim.  That is exactly what my hive that swarmed a few days ago did.

anything