Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another swarm lost it, another swarm lost it, repeat  (Read 3457 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
Re: Another swarm lost it, another swarm lost it, repeat
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 02:15:18 pm »
That feeling hasn't gone away and I'm five years into this.  I don't see it ending soon. :wink:

It's nice cao and they are still there! Phew!
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 02:10:23 pm »
Day 3 and they are still there! Pretty happy about that but one strange thing to this new person; on the tree where the trap was is still a baseball size clump of bees right where the trap was. These were the ones I thought would follow over to the new hive but they ain't budging. They are just in a clump not moving until I get too close then they brush me off the plate. I'll try to get a pic with this sad internet situation I have here.
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 02:26:09 pm »
It happens to me to. I catch swarms here on my farm. Plug them up at night,then move them hundreds of yards to another area and it never fails that some of the bees find there way back to the tree. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will have a better option for you. but here's a couple of things I have done. After they are there for a day or 2 I will place another swarm trap in that same location. The bees WILL go inside. Then I plug them up after dark, the next morning I will take them down to where the rest of there colony is and open the box with the entrance facing the hive that there colony is in.  Usually mid day. In my experience they start nasonoving and move in with there folks. It might not get all of them. But will drastically reduced the numbers hanging out on the tree.  The other thing I have done is just left a frame of comb where the bees are and at night they'll be on it. Makes it a little easier to move them. I also found that after a day or 2, the ones on the tree are pretty pissy.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »
I am going to repeat as best as I remember.  "It is hard to do, but leave them closed with adequate ventilation for three days and they will stay put".  I have had good luck doing this, I'm sure there other ways and I would like to hear about them.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 03:13:59 pm »
The ones left behind are either scouts that were out if it was a swarm that was caught or foragers that stayed out all night if it was a hive(or swarm trap) that was moved.  They will usually find a hive close by to join eventually.  And yes they are usually not too happy.  You wouldn't be either if you came back and your home was gone.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 12:41:41 am »
It's less of them now and a lot of activity in the new hive. Pretty exciting!
Check out my Blog!: