Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncapped Honey is best placed where?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline billdean

• House Bee
Uncapped Honey is best placed where?
« on: June 07, 2017, 10:26:37 pm »
 I just use 8 frame medium equipment. Both hives the queen has laid in the bottom 4 boxes, but as the brood has emerged the bees are back filling those brood chambers with honey. I have taken 8 frames of honey out of each hive and want to put it on top of the brood nest until they cap it. Is it best to put the box of honey right on top of the brood nest or on top of the other supers on the hive? The other supers do have a little honey in them also

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Uncapped Honey is best placed where?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:20:39 am »
I am going to go with where ever the bees put it so I have to ask why did you take it out?  Take out capped honey only.  Put back empty frames.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:41:18 pm »
I took the frames out to prevent swarming. The brood nest was becoming honey bound with little places for the queen. Some of the honey frames came from the middle of the brood nest which I replaced with empty drawn comb. The brood had emerged out of the frames and was being replaced at a fast pace. We are in a honey flow now but the major flow will begin in a few weeks.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:28:11 pm »
They normally cap from the top down, so place it on top and harvest when capped.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:01:07 pm »
They normally cap from the top down, so place it on top and harvest when capped.

Thanks Iddee.....that is what I was looking for though I did place them wrong. Just opposite of what I thought

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 10:14:14 am »
The brood had emerged out of the frames and was being replaced at a fast pace. We are in a honey flow now but the major flow will begin in a few weeks.

If I remember correctly you had 4 boxes that the brood was in.  I would expect them to backfill the emerging brood and consolidate.  The instant the top box was full of honey you could have just piled on the supers.  They not only cap from the top down they fill from the top down.  So as long as you keep piling on supers they keep filling them.  When the flow stops they eat form the bottom up and they eat uncapped before capped.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMe

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 10:00:46 am »
Thanks for adding that extra info Ace.  We sometimes forget to add the small details for new beeks thinking others know what we know. 
billdean it does should like you needed to add more supers to your hive.  You did well to realize that you needed to open the brood nest.  I do hope you got it square away in time to prevent swarming.
It is well to add supers before the bees need them when a flow is on.
Calvin King
"But the noble make noble plans, and by noble deeds they stand."  Isaiah 32:8

anything