Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drones  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
Drones
« on: April 18, 2017, 11:34:22 am »
I had a hive I was inspecting and discovered that many drones dead in front of the hive!The workers were bringing out the drones and they had a pile of them in front of the hive.I saw  some crawling in the grass and picked severral up and examined them and they looked normal.No sign of mite damage,etc.
Could it be due to the warm Jan we had and the bees think the cycle is over?Hive looks good inside all appeared to be normal. Any Ideas??

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Drones
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 01:28:01 pm »
Usually this means there was a lack of resources.  That could be due to a late freeze, a rainy week etc...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 02:42:17 pm »
Usually this means there was a lack of resources.  That could be due to a late freeze, a rainy week etc...

What Mr. Bush said. You will also see them do this before winter.

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:18:57 pm »
I am aware they throw them out in the late fall however this is just starting the season and it was just this one hive.No Mites as they were treated could be as Michael said lack of resources as we did have a freezeing night a few days ago.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:46:46 pm »
This time of year they will go through resources so fast it'll amaze you. If you're at the beginning of your peak flow then they may be a day or two from starving out.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything