BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

What do you use to treat varroa?

(1/2) > >>

Blackbird:
I am wondering what kind of success people have had with various varroa treatments.
I'd actually like comments as to why something worked or didn't. What have you tried. What finally worked for you. I know Robo is a fan of oxalic acid. I haven't heard much else as far as success stories. Thanks for your input.
Stacie :)

Robo:
Just so there is no misunderstanding.  I am trying oxalic acid for the first time this year.  I have no personal experience or data to support how effective it is.  I can however say, that I have had mixed results with essential oils and mineral oil (both fog and direct application) over the last 5 years. I have found it too inconsistant to meet my needs.  As I have previously stated, that has been my personal experience, and I am not trying say it doesn't work, as some have claimed success.  I just have not had luck with it.

With that said, I do see oxalic acid as promising from what I have read, and the fact that many Europeans/Canadians have been using it for many years.

I also see the formic acid products that are being developed as promising.  Especially since formic acid can penetrate the wax and kill mites that are under capped brood.

asleitch:
You missed IPM (Integrated Pest Management) from you list.

Our club teacher, who is also the local bee inspector has been drumming IPM into us for months now.

I hven't noticed this discussed much on this forum at all.

Adam

asleitch:
Admin,

Can you delete this second post? The forum was running slow again today, and I submitted twice by mistake.

Also

Q) on another php forum, they have it set up that if you submit twice within a few seconds, it refuses the second post - to stop this exact problem - have you considered enabling this feature?

Q) It'd be nice to be able to delete posts ourselves. Any chance of enabling that? Or having a second level of membership a kind of "poweruser" without Admin rights, but enhanced member rights, e.g. to delete our own posts?

Adam

Lesli:

--- Quote from: asleitch ---You missed IPM (Integrated Pest Management) from you list.

Our club teacher, who is also the local bee inspector has been drumming IPM into us for months now.

I hven't noticed this discussed much on this forum at all.

Adam
--- End quote ---

You'll see me discussing it.  :lol: Now that I have my girls, that's the way to go for me. I have no problem using chemicals when needed, but since I don't have to have a honey crop and I'm willing to experiment, I'm definitely going to try IPM with minimal chemicals.

To start with, I'm using screened bottom boards in both my hives. I've also put them in a sunny sopt (until mid-afternoon, when they're shaded) since according to one article I read, that seems to reduce mites.

I'll requeen in the spring, and will choose Russians for their resistance. And I'll see what essential oils can do to keep the mite population down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version