BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Double boiler wax melter

(1/4) > >>

Lesgold:
Hi folks,

I?ve decided to refine my cappings melting operation after thinking about how much time is actually spent on the process. What I currently do takes a considerable amount of time and still results in honey and some wax being lost. A wax melter will cut my time considerably and still allow good recovery of both cappings honey and wax. The unit I purchased is an electric double boiler melter with a tank capacity of 25 litres. It has a digital controller which will allow for accurate temperature settings. The unit cost about $850 delivered and should arrive in a day or so. I will post some pics when it does and eventually run through the operation of the machine. I?m already thinking about ways to utilise and modify the boiler for refining wax, warming cappings for better raw honey recovery and sucking the last drop of wax from slum gum etc. I?m sure that many of you currently use a similar style of boiler and will have ideas and methods that you use. I would love to hear about them. Any technique that is efficient and saves time would be of interest to all of us.

Cheers

Les

Ben Framed:
Les have you seen the type seperator that works kind of like the spin cycle of a washing machine? Jeff Horcroff has one, and when finished the cappings look to be dry to the touch. As he demonstrated in a video.

Phillip

Lesgold:
Hi Phillip

Yes, I have thought about a cappings spinner but it still left me with the cappings to deal with. If I had a larger operation, I would probably have both. In my situation, draining the cappings and then heating them in a controlled manner will allow all honey to be recovered. A small proportion of that honey will be cooked but that?s OK. I currently press my cappings to remove most of the remaining honey but it is labour intensive and the recovery rate in not all that good. This new method will give me some raw honey at low temperature settings as well as cooked honey and liquid wax at higher temperatures. I should save a lot of time and get more honey and good quality wax with less work with this method.

Ben Framed:
Sounds good Les...

Phillip

Lesgold:
The wax melter arrived this morning and has been unpacked and cleaned. Just heading off now to buy some demineralised water to fill the jacket.

I have some wax blocks that are partially cleaned which will be melted in water and cleaned in the next day or so. Will report on the process as it occurs.

Cheers

Les

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version