BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Anybody Know About Black Queen Cell Virus?

<< < (3/3)

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Bill Murray on February 27, 2022, 07:30:19 pm ---Question on this. I had 2 hives that the larva turned to for lack of a better term snot. they were in the same yard I tested for AFB and EFB. Both neg 2x. Is this the same? sorry I read but cant quite comprehend symptoms. Thanks in advance.
Bill

--- End quote ---

Bill thanks for reporting and posting this good 'learning' question. I have not looked any further into this since my last post here. I for one do not know. I bet HoneyPump, maybe Beeboy01, as well as others may be able to answer. Hopefully someone will speak-up..
I do recall Beemaster2 reporting a similar problem a few years ago. If I remember correctly his came negative as well. Is this right Jim?

Phillip

BeeMaster2:
Bill,
Several years ago I bought out an apiary that had 12 hives. One by one they died off and they hen my hives got sick. Our bee Inspecter said it was snort brood He saw it in a few apiaries that year. He said to make a mixture of vinegar and sugar water, I think, and spray it on top of the brood frames every so many days. Give Stephen Cutts a call for first hand info. (352) 395-4633 
He is a fourth generation beekeeper.
Jim Altmiller

Bill Murray:
Im not a very computer savvy guy, and actually hate sitting for hrs on end looking at a screen but low and behold did a search   and probably not the same thing but.

--- Quote ---PUPAE/LARVAE DYING AND TURNING YELLOW TO DARK BROWN OR BLACK
The virus process first kills queen larvae (or pupae) and turns it a distinctive yellow colour. From there, the colour slowly fades into a dark brown or black.
--- End quote ---
This was kinda what it looked like. This was last summer I moved both hives, pulled all comb, installed a few frames of capped brood, and basically stated from scratch,  fed heavily , one recovered and one didnt. Never went any further than that so it was just kinda filed away until I read this.
snotbrood never heard of it  "Parafoulbrood" according to Mr. Bush on this site.

--- Quote ---I have heard it called "Parafoulbrood" and read of it often being misdiagnosed as AFB.

Parafoulbrood is caused by Bacillus para-alvei and possibly combinations of other microorganisms and has symptoms similar to EFB and AFB. As with any brood disease, a common solution is a break in brood rearing.
--- End quote ---

Sorry back to BQCV

TheHoneyPump:
Your soupy larvae that tested negative for EFB - AFB .. is/was most likely Sac Brood Virus.  Snot brood; is not a term used by beekeepers. While some folks may use it, collectively its use should be discouraged.
As for BQCV, yes that description quoted above is accurate/correct.

Michael Bush:
Actually Snot brood is being used by beekeepers to describe this condition especially when the cause is not AFB or EFB and is basically unknown.  I've had the bee inspector use the term.  If there is a known specific cause, then that should be the specific name used, but when it's unknown, then a description of the symptoms is about all you can use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version