BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES

Long hives swarming before honey flow.

<< < (4/5) > >>

loisl58:
I took a long queen cell out my Long Langstroth hive 1. Saw small larvae. Can't see eggs as glasses don't focus for eggs, hehehe, ahh getting older.
Queen is busy lots of brood good pattern.

Good replies above. Answers to many of my different concerns.
Such as
1.only keeping 2 hives.
2. What to do with Queen cells.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

loisl58:
If I find Queen cells in Long Lang
1. Could I move old Queen & a few frames to 1 end, then QE (queen excuder), have honey in between open that entrance, and another QE, let queen cells and rest of bees stay in other end with entrance open?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Bill Murray:
Bob Im pondering this. No nectar flow equals no drawn comb, (unless feeding) so to open a broodnest at this point with un-drawn comb dosnt really make sense.The bees want her to lay at this point in time this is how theyget ready to populate. If the queen has no were to lay they swarm. If they have nowhere to store nectar they swarm, broodnest congestion they swarm. Just my opinion drawn comb is the way to keep bees from swarming before a flow. But you can cull the queen as stated By Cao. But If you just hive her in a nuc box and your Main hive dosnt make one you just reinstall. If they do and she mates you kill the one you dont want and put everything back together again.

Bob Wilson:
Hi, Bill. Looking forward to you and Marley beeing at the BeeFest this year.
I have inserted an empty foundationless frame on each side of the broodnest so far this year (2022). They have around 8 frames of brood already. We are having a little honey flow from the red maples. They are putting up nectar. It's not enough to cap, but sure enough for the hives to expand. If I see new comb this next instpection, I will add a few more empty frames, perhaps even a few within the nest, judiciously watching the weather forcasts.
But I won't pull any nucs out of them until I see "drones walking on the comb".

Bob Wilson:
Lois,
If you try to run two colonies out of the same long box...
1. one on each end
2. each with their own entrance
3. honey in the middle
4. queen excluder on each side of the honey.
Won't the two worker populations fight in the honey middle ground, or worse, cross over to the other side and kill the other queen?
I have always heard of a solid divider board between the two, or a double screened bottom board where the two populations cannot reach, pass through, nor touch each other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version