Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: DON'T OPEN THIS! iT'S SPAM!  (Read 4897 times)

salvo

DON'T OPEN THIS! iT'S SPAM!
« on: December 05, 2020, 06:54:14 pm »
Hi Folks,

Rainy and windy today in Massachusetts. Boring day.

Asked my wife: What's for supper? She replied: I don't know. What do we have? I said: I got that Spam in there (bought a bunch five or six years ago). I eat it alone,... just me and the dog.

Wife hates it. I like it. High or low salt, regular or bacon flavor, with beans, eggs, just mustard and bread.

My family ate a lot of stuff growing up, pot head to government surplus. I like tripe. But SPAM! Yowza! Well,... pot head too. Well,... tripe too.

What are your best memories of Spam? What do you remember fondly (or not so fondly) that you haven't had in a long time.

Please click the link:
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/americas-miracle-meat-the-story-of-spam-3-recipes/

Sal
OH! That Art of Manliness site is great. Look around.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: DON'T OPEN THIS! iT'S SPAM!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 07:06:28 pm »
I guess I am too young to have personal knowledge of Spam.  I've seen it in stores, but my family never ate it, and my parent's didn't either as children to my knowledge.  (I know my mother's family didn't, since my grandfather was a butcher.)  I however, in spite of being a woman, can testify that Art of Manliness is a great website.  I once needed to know how men shaved in ancient times for a novel I am writing, and they had a fantastic article about it.  They've also supplied me with other quality answers to totally random questions several times.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 07:12:47 pm »
I spent all my summers at church camp.  They got commodities which is where I got my first taste of REAL butter.  But one summer they got a huge surplus of two things:  peanut butter and spam.

So for breakfast we had spam and eggs.  For lunch we had spam salad sandwiches. For supper we had spam pizza.  And always there was peanut butter on the table...  The next day we would have spam and pancakes, spam and cheese sandwiches and BBQ spam.  The next day it would be spam with biscuts and gravy, spam and peanut butter sandwiches and roast spam.  You get the picture.  After three months of spam for breakfast, lunch and supper I hope to never taste it again...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 08:06:43 pm »
I spent all my summers at church camp.  They got commodities which is where I got my first taste of REAL butter.  But one summer they got a huge surplus of two things:  peanut butter and spam.

So for breakfast we had spam and eggs.  For lunch we had spam salad sandwiches. For supper we had spam pizza.  And always there was peanut butter on the table...  The next day we would have spam and pancakes, spam and cheese sandwiches and BBQ spam.  The next day it would be spam with biscuts and gravy, spam and peanut butter sandwiches and roast spam.  You get the picture.  After three months of spam for breakfast, lunch and supper I hope to never taste it again...

:shocked: :grin:  At least you got ahold of that REAL butter! Yum!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

salvo

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 12:00:09 am »
Hi Folks,

A Few Fun Facts You May Not Know About Tripe

1. Tripe juice is good for a hangover.
2. Tripe increases libido.
3. Wrap your head with tripe and cover with a swimming cap for a cure for hair loss.

Sal

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 01:54:50 pm »
>At least you got ahold of that REAL butter! Yum!

Yes.  Since the day I left home I only ate margarine when I was too poor to buy butter and that was only for a couple of years.  The best butter advertisement I ever saw was "You'll never hear us brag that we taste like margarine!"
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

salvo

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 12:12:44 am »
Hi Folks,

What's in YOUR fridge?

Sal

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 04:58:32 am »
Probably botulism........ :shocked:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 08:21:46 am »
Hi Folks,

What's in YOUR fridge?

Sal
Absolutely nothing.
I?ll let the black mold have it. 😊
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

salvo

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 07:43:24 am »
Hi Folks,

Sal

salvo

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 09:15:50 pm »

salvo

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 09:59:43 am »
Hi Folks,

Laughing here! I'm actually surprised at how white bread this forum actually is! And I say that with all affection. God love ya!

I expected a bunch of us to chime in with their own ^Food I've had^ stories.

Another one from me then: I remember the times when the Fish Man used to make the rounds of all the farms. His old pick-up with boxes of melting ice and the fish inside. He hoped that many of the farmers had a spare dime for a couple of mackerel. My grandmother always found that dime.

Nothing like mackerel fried in bacon grease (remember that can of accumulated bacon grease in the ice box?). We'd all have a good time discussing who should get the crisp fins and tails. OOHH the crisp skin. Scraping out that tasty dark stripe on the side of your piece of the fish.

Still love that mackerel but my wife won't let me cook it in the house. That smell lingers for days.

Sal

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 05:35:08 pm »
Don't know about the old days, since I'm only 75, but we have a raccoon in the oven right now. Packed with veggies and covered with stuffing. Should be on the table in another hour.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 08:12:31 pm »
Don't know about the old days, since I'm only 75, but we have a raccoon in the oven right now. Packed with veggies and covered with stuffing. Should be on the table in another hour.
Well, how was the old coon?  What does raccoon taste like anyway? 

(remember that can of accumulated bacon grease in the ice box?)
My mom saves bacon grease.  :happy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 09:02:54 pm »
Raccoon is a very dark meat, but really good when prepared right. We boil it until tender, then line a large baking pan with stuffing, lay the meat out, add potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery, carrots, ETC. Then cover it all with stuffing and bake it until the Irish potatoes are done. They take the longest.

Tonight we had squirrel and dumplings.

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2021, 01:31:24 pm »
>I expected a bunch of us to chime in with their own ^Food I've had^ stories.

The list of things I haven't eaten is shorter than the list of things I have...  I could never bring myself to eat a possum.  They just smell too bad.  Or a skunk.  But most any other bird or mammal that is big enough I've eaten.  No mice or rats, but lots of squirrels and rabbits and coons.

I was having a conversation with a friend one day about all the things we had made "coffee" out of.  Slightly roasted cornmeal, dandelion roots, chicory roots etc. and a 20 something lady looked at us like we were crazy and asked why in the world you would do that.  We said in unison, because you don't have enough money for coffee.  She was not well off, but the concept that you couldn't afford coffee was incomprehensible to her...
-------------------

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 06:08:03 pm »
MB, you are not that far from my age. My parents married in 1931, in the middle of the depression. Possum was normal table fare during that time, after caging them for two weeks on bread and milk. It continued during my childhood. Although I have not eaten it as an adult, I ate possum many times during my first 10 years. I'm surprised you didn't do the same.

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 10:55:52 pm »
Now I know the secret.  I've never caught them and fed them bread and milk nor heard of it...  I guess I've done something similar... we would catch crawdads and feed them cornmeal before we ate them...
-------------------

salvo

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 11:14:16 pm »
Hi Folks,

And you thought this thread couldn't descend into socio-political commentary?

Sal

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 12:03:34 am »
Now I know the secret.  I've never caught them and fed them bread and milk nor heard of it...  I guess I've done something similar... we would catch crawdads and feed them cornmeal before we ate them...

Mr Bush, I recently viewed a rerun of the Beverly Hillbillies. The subject was "smoked crawdads" of course the Beatniks of that time thought Jeffro was talking about smoking crawdads and they were plenty excited to give it a try!!! I suppose they thought it was some kind of new California grass type thing. lol   I can not do the show justice by description. A must see for a good clean laugh.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.