BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Comb collapse in foundationless deep frames?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Michael Bush:
I wouldn?t open a hive in hot weather if there isn?t some support.  Probably in the 90s.

Bob Wilson:
Well, I listened to everyone's advice to stay out of a foundationless frame hive in the hot summer, then went stupid again. The hive has dropped population drastically around the entrance, and I was worried about SHBs destroying the hive, or a backfilled brood nest. However, after I went in I had a honey comb break out of a frame (my first) and even after that horrendous drippy mess, I tried to get into the brood nest, where I forgot I had placed an empty frame, and managed to collapse that partially made comb also. It is still in the hive, broken off and leaning against another comb. It was a complete fiasco. I didn't get a chance to check for brood or eggs. I hope I did not kill the queen.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: bobll on July 27, 2019, 11:34:54 pm ---Well, I listened to everyone's advice to stay out of a foundationless frame hive in the hot summer, then went stupid again. The hive has dropped population drastically around the entrance, and I was worried about SHBs destroying the hive, or a backfilled brood nest. However, after I went in I had a honey comb break out of a frame (my first) and even after that horrendous drippy mess, I tried to get into the brood nest, where I forgot I had placed an empty frame, and managed to collapse that partially made comb also. It is still in the hive, broken off and leaning against another comb. It was a complete fiasco. I didn't get a chance to check for brood or eggs. I hope I did not kill the queen.

--- End quote ---

Maybe not.

Michael Bush:
The thing is to do it early in the morning.  Like 1/2 hour before sunrise.  When it's still cool out.

Ben Framed:
Bob, I had some problems with foundationless collapsing, even when (not) opening the hive in the hot summer in my area. I remedied this by using fishing line, the X pattern as well as the straight across pattern. However; the most efficient method I have used is small wood skewers as taught here by Paus. (A dollar a pack at Dollar Tree or Dollar General). I simply made a pattern from a top bar and a bottom bar by drilling two holes in each the correct size, both in unisense. Once the frames were assembled, I would go back, using the pattern, drill and insert the skewers with a small dot of Titebond 3 glue at each junction hole, breaking off any excessive piece of skewer. This cured my newer wax honeycomb failure. I also learned when doing this you should stagger these with frames of drawn out comb insuring the bees will draw the comb straight through the line or skewers, giving a good solid straight new comb. I am now in the process of getting away for foundationless. Foundationless was fine when I had only a hand full of hives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version