BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Comb collapse in foundationless deep frames?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Bob Wilson:
Greetings, Ben. You resurrected a thread from 2 years ago. That was my first summer, but I have not experienced any problems with my foundationless frames and hot Georgia summers.
I don't add any line or skewers because I crush and strain. With only 3 hives and a couple of nucs, it works for me.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Bob Wilson on July 08, 2021, 11:19:42 pm ---Greetings, Ben. You resurrected a thread from 2 years ago. That was my first summer, but I have not experienced any problems with my foundationless frames and hot Georgia summers.
I don't add any line or skewers because I crush and strain. With only 3 hives and a couple of nucs, it works for me.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---You resurrected a thread from 2 years ago.

--- End quote ---

Yes that is true, I ran upon it while browsing. I figured whether you could or could not use the information after this period of time, someone else might find it useful. It is good you have found a method that works for you. Keep up the good work!

Michael Bush:
When I had issues was with new comb and a strong flow.  New soft wax is very soft.  Once you have some established comb it's much less of a problem.

FloridaGardener:
Re: Soft white wax and the heavy honey band on top.

I still have a top bar hive.  The first colony drew nearly perfect comb. (Eventually I split, sold one, and moved the rest into a Lang). 
I put a swarm in the TBH three months ago. The second colony isn't so tidy WRT: attachments to the side and general wonkiness. I've struggled with soft wax and heavy honey too.  Now I bring this with me:

- A large tupperware, or food grade 20" Sterlite tub with closing lid
- Parchment paper from the grocery store.  (You can use waxed paper but honey scrapes off parchment better.)
- An extra wide silicon spatula.
- A clean working tray like this one: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/smula-tray-clear-40041131/ or a full-sheet commercial cooking tray.
- Rubber bands or cotton string and toothpicks

As soon as you pic up the white wax, support it with the spatula and get it right over to the tray lined with a sheet of parchment.  Lay it down like fabric, bottom first then the top.  It may fall partly out of the frame,  but be supported until it can lay flat.
Cut off the honey you want  and seal it in the tupperware.  If there is brood, use the rubber bands/string/toothpicks to wrap it back into the frame.
You can save almost every drop of honey from the parchment.  It's sort of kitchen-garden beekeeping...but better than the loss of the resources.

Robo:

--- Quote from: Bob Wilson on July 08, 2021, 11:19:42 pm ---Greetings, Ben. You resurrected a thread from 2 years ago. That was my first summer, but I have not experienced any problems with my foundationless frames and hot Georgia summers.

--- End quote ---

I run 1 horizontal wire mid-frame and it works wonders.   Cutting around 1 wire for crush and strain does not take much effort, but the protection of 1 wire is priceless.  Especially when you accidentally rotate the frame to look for eggs.  Habits from years of foundation beekeeping are hard to break......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version