BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Comb collapse in foundationless deep frames?

(1/4) > >>

Bob Wilson:
I have foundationless frames in my long lang hive. They are doing well. About 15 filled out to some degree. Most are almost completely solid around four edges, however, July and August are blazing in Georgia. I do have my hive in shade from 1:00 PM onward, but I have been noticing the propolis melting, or at least becoming very soft and gluey. At what temperature do I need to worry about comb collapse? Is that an issue with foundationless beekeeping?

cao:
I think the biggest issue with foundationless frames is flipping them over to check the other side before they have attached it fully to the frame.  As long as there is enough bees they will keep the hive cool enough.  If you are worried about the heat then do less intensive inspections less often.  In other words let the bees do what they do.

BeeMaster2:
X2

TheHoneyPump:
Beeswax melts near 145 degF.  The temperature is not exact, due to other stuff mixed in. It gets quite soft over 115 degF

The bees keep the hive at 95 degF by fanning and water evaporation.  If the ambient temperatures are much higher than 95, the advice is stay out and make sure the bees have access to a water source nearby so they can keep the AC on.  They will spend more time and energy hauling water and cooling than making honey during heat waves.  Expect honey production to go down, not up, when it is sunny and hot out there.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: cao on July 06, 2019, 11:36:32 pm ---I think the biggest issue with foundationless frames is flipping them over to check the other side before they have attached it fully to the frame.  As long as there is enough bees they will keep the hive cool enough.  If you are worried about the heat then do less intensive inspections less often.  In other words let the bees do what they do.

--- End quote ---
M
--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on July 07, 2019, 07:49:59 am ---X2

--- End quote ---

Yep

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version