Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax candles  (Read 7964 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Wax candles
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 07:45:27 am »
From you experienced candle makers, what size and style candle seem to be your Best seller?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 02:00:43 pm »
They are a straight candle, about 8 inches long, 1 inch dia. Approx.

I enjoy burning them - beautiful smell. ... I'm saving all my wax right now though, so that I can wax-dip my wooden ware in the future. So it was nice to get all those candles from him.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 02:15:49 pm »
JurassicApiary, Cool and Member,I really enjoyed reading the comments from you three. Your stories added charter to the already good information that was posted way back then. Also thank y'all for the added information. Brian D Bray was quite a fellow. I have read much of his work here at beemaster. I would have never thought of braiding feed sack strings to make wicks. Do any of yall make candles as he described? I will confess, I have never lit or even had a beeswax candle. YET...... 

:happy:

BF, I have not heard of this, nor tried it, but I bet it works just fine!  Looked through several posts searching for the original you mentioned by Brian where he describes making candles, but cannot locate it.  Can you post a link to the thread?  I learned a lot of Brian in the process of searching.  He is legendary on the forum, wow.  98k+ posts...just, wow.  It looks like the anniversary of his passing is coming up next month.  Currently, I am using pre-waxed hemp wick for the candles I am making. 

I may try making tapered candles in the future.  There's a festive video on this posted by a member named Hardwood that can be found here:
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=30857.msg248062#msg248062

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 02:26:48 pm »
Great story, and that's absolutely amazing that your mother can glass blow.  I had the pleasure of visiting the Corning Glass Museum in NY when I was a kid and it was amazing!   

15th, yes, I agree.  I think it's great she's found something creative to do for a hobby.

15th - I grew up near the Corning Glass Works. As I kid I'd sit for hours watching the Glass Blowers at work there. Usually 20 to 40 of them. My favorite - they'd always hand over bags of glass marbles to us kids.  :grin: Great memories, and an amazing place!

Jurassic - great story, and very true! Your mother is a smart woman.  :cool:

I enjoy watching artists blow glass.  There's a 2-season show on Netflix called Blown Away that you all might enjoy.  It's a glass blowing competition.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 03:42:37 pm »
Here you are JurassicApiary

Offline Brian D. Bray
Heavenly Beekeeper
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
View Profile  http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: driping candles
? Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:15:38 pm ?
True bee's wax tapers are meant to be dipped not molded. Taper molds are meant for Parifane.  I use feed sack strings and weave them into a 3 or 4 string wick.  I then dip them into the pot of moulten wax.  The wicks are initially weighted with a split-shot sinker which is removed after about 6 dippings as the developing candle is then strong and rigid enough to not require the weight.  I made a rack out of J hooks and make 2 candles on each string by weighting both ends and holding the wick in the middle.  I get 2 nice 8-10 inch tapers. The rack can old up to 12 candles at a time and if the right sized pot is used the rack can also be used as a jig to dip all candles at the same time.

I must say it is fun to watch the candles take form and substance with each successive dipping in the wax.  Want colored or scented candles, add food dyes and/or essential oils.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 04:29:38 pm »
Have enjoyed reading about beeswax candles

There's a 2-season show on Netflix called Blown Away  will definitely check this out - thanks for sharing

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 05:15:54 pm »

anything