BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Plastic frames VS Wood frames

<< < (2/6) > >>

capt44:
I personally like the wooden frames using either wax or plastic (Rite Cell) foundation.
I have had plastic frames actually warp up from the heat.
The plastic frames has a lot of small crevices and notches that small hive beetles can hide in.
Wooden frames will last several years also.
But I'd stay with wooden frames.

Joe D:
I would go with the wood frames also.  I started with some established hives that had wood frames and wax foundation.  Until last year all the new frames I put in were foundationless, there were drawn frames to go between them.  Last year I used some rite cell plastic foundation with wax in wood frames.  Some of my bees used them well, and a couple of hives didn't really like them.  They did use them though.  Good luck with what ever you choose. 

Joe

gmcharlie:
Have lot of both,  wood is much nicer,  sturdier,  repairable,  and less spots for SHB.......  wood all the way.  plastic only if its free.   
Plastic foundation is great,  but not frames.

RC:

--- Quote from: gmcharlie on March 01, 2014, 01:48:32 pm ---Have lot of both,  wood is much nicer,  sturdier,  repairable,  and less spots for SHB.......  wood all the way.  plastic only if its free.   
Plastic foundation is great,  but not frames.

--- End quote ---

I'd have to agree. I have both and don't particularly like the plastic frames. If the top bars were the same dimension as the wood and the frames were solid, I'd be more satisfied with them.
My main issues with them is the SHB hiding spots on the frames. I've filled up a lot of them with silicone, but that's a lot of work.
The preassembled wood frames/plastic foundation aren't much more expensive and there's just no trouble with them.

mikecva:
I've used the wood with plastic foundation (from Mann Lake and Brushy Mnt.) I like both. I personally have not used all plastic but a fellow beek has and he said there is more differences in sizes from multiple suppliers and if I ever decide to go plastic, I could have his at no cost. (I did not ask him but I took that as a dissatisfaction because he went back to wood.) To each his own.

From what he said, if you go with plastic frames then I suggest sticking with one supplier.  -Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version