My oxalic acid treatment experience.


I got a vaporizer and treated my bees on friday night for varroa using oxalic acid.
   We waited until night to do it so all the bees would be in the hive during treatment. Since you have to seal up the hive for 10 to 15 minutes after treatment I didn't want the returning bees stuck outside that whole time wondering why their hive was closed up.
After the treatment was done and we unsealed the hive quite a few bees came out after us. They were understandably mad. We hitailed it into the house but all those bees ended up staying outside over night for not being able to get back to the hive in the dark. That was sad to see the next morning. So many dead bees outside my back door. I collected the ones that were still alive and brought them back to the hive to recover.
   On a good note after just 8 hours I saw many dead mites on the board, at least 30 to 50. Then this morning I checked the board again and there were more mites than I could count, the board was just covered with them, all dead too.
   In conclusion this is seeming like a really good treatment. I's fairly easy to use and you don't have to open up the hive to do it. The only thing I would do differently next time is do it more at dusk so there would be some light for the bees to be able  to return home by.

Extra special thanks to Robo for all his help in answering my questions.



Glad to hear things worked well for you.  Sounds like you got some good immediate results.  Don't forget, it could take up to 4 weeks to see the full affect of the treatment.  Also don't forget, if you still have capped brood, you should treat again on a weekly basis for 4 weeks, or until there is no capped brood.

I will do that, thanks Robo


[0] Message Index

Go to full version