BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

varroa screen

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lesli:

--- Quote from: Robo ---You are basically emulating a screened bottom board.  
--- End quote ---

Nope, I'm using SBBs on both. The solid board was only for a week. I also have top ventilation. I find the girls like having a second entrace in the second deep to come and go, and I notched out the inner cover, too.  They don't use that for an entrace yet, but with the telescoping cover pushed away from the notch, they could.

FredBorn:
I'm only a 3 year beekeeper with 4 hives in backyard in Florida and I use nothing but screened bottom boards which I keep on all the time. Seems to help with mites. I test occasionally with grreased board and there are always mites trapped on the greased board so I think it does keep them from jumping back on another bee whn they get off another bee for what ever reason; because I have fumed with FGMO, Sugared them or they just fell off.

Fred Citrus County Florida

Anonymous:
Speaking of ventilation in the winter, a local beekeeper, with over 1000 hives uses a 3/8 inch dowel in the front of the hive placed between the bottom of the inner cover and the top of the top brood box allowing for a 3/8 inch opening across the front of the hive. This provides for an exit of moisture during the winter. It also provides a top egress for the bees during the winter.

He lost just 30 hives last winter and he says that this is the only difference he made between this past winter and the winter before where he lost in excess of 100 hives.

I used it and my hives made it through the winter OK.

Robo:

--- Quote from: Lesli ---
--- Quote from: Robo ---You are basically emulating a screened bottom board.  
--- End quote ---

Nope, I'm using SBBs on both. The solid board was only for a week. I also have top ventilation. I find the girls like having a second entrace in the second deep to come and go, and I notched out the inner cover, too.  They don't use that for an entrace yet, but with the telescoping cover pushed away from the notch, they could.
--- End quote ---

My comment was to tejas about just using a varroa screen and no bottom board.  Sorry for the confusion.

tejas:
Robo,

From what I've read you need more ventilation in the winter but, wouldn't it get to cold without a bottom board at all?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version