BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

IPM/mite management

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lesli:
I did my 24-hour drop check, and I'm not sure of what I saw. I had hoped that the mites would be distinct, but amid the other debris, I'm just not sure.

Do others use a magnifying glass, or am I just due for a checkup?

Maybe I'll try the powdered sugar shake...

Robo:
The fact that you haven't seen any mites in the drone brood is a good indication that your mite count is low.  Assuming you have opened up ten or more drone cells.

Since your hive is new this year, the bees were probably treated before you got them, so it is not surprizing that you have a low count.  Just continue to be diligent in your inspections, because it is late summer/early fall that the mites start getting heavy.  Some speculate it could be robbing of heavy infested (therefore weak) feral colonies.  I have read tha untreated, 1 mite in the spring correlates to 200 mites in the fall.

lobstafari:
Im at 5 per hive per 48 hr period, and use a magnifying glass.  Once you get a looksie you can identify them with a naked eye, but use a glass for now....all kinds of other cool things to check out too!! Im expecting my mite population to pick up soon, just have to find a good market for them and Ill be rich!! 8)  :P  :lol:

Lesli:
Mite flambe? Mite jelly? Chocolate covered mites? Mites in a truffle sauce? Mite omlette?

lobstafari:
Now theres a new twist!  I was thinking more along the lines of mite necklaces, charms, bracelets, wall posters (if I got enough) and display them in a gallery as art!! :lol:  OK just bein' silly...good luck at it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version