Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
My mentor had a chance to review my video last night and he has reiterated most everything that yous have told me. We have a rainy weekend coming in with one beautiful day today so I'm going back in and switch frames around, add another box and put the syrup back in. I have an extra set of jars and replace the old with fresh and wash them to prevent growth of molds but apparently, something didn't work right this time. Is there any detriment to using dish soap to clean them? Will any residue be harmful to the bees? I need to figure out how to get my hands in there to get a good cleaning action.

The hive tool is homemade from a picture that 15thmember had posted and I'm giving it a try. My mentor has the larger tool as you described and I see one advantage for the smaller one so far. I can keep it in my hand the whole time and not have to put it down, then have to figure out where I left it. I wasn't really struggling with it too bad just yet but they haven't really applied the glue yet either. But then, I haven't finessed the using of the tool yet and my handling of it will improve. I do, however, like that step on the back to use as leverage and will probably make one on this tool.

Thanks for the review and input. I do appreciate it. And when my mentor's thoughts match yours, I feel good about the direction.
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Re: Biden Famous Quotes!
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 07:38:59 am »
I?m afraid that there?s two categories there. Those who know and those who never will.
Welcome, tamhnguyen. I?m in the SEPA but don?t recall hearing from anyone in central Jersey in my short time here. The hives that you mentioned are rarely used so don?t be surprised or feel slighted if you don?t get a response. I do believe that there are a couple of layens hive users here from other parts though.

As a new beekeeper, what help and guidance do you have? Keeping them alive through the winter is a challenge and will an important goal. An experienced beek would be good to help you with that.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Best swarm prevention
« Last post by Bob Wilson on Today at 07:16:19 am »
Thanks for all the comments.
Welcome to Beemaster, tamhnguyen!  :happy:
tamhnguyen Welcome to Beemaster !
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Biden Famous Quotes!
« Last post by Ben Framed on May 02, 2024, 11:50:42 pm »
Joe Biden famous quotes:
> How many times does he have to prove we can?t be trusted!<  :cheesy: :wink: :cool:

https://youtube.com/shorts/-7Q4j05ve38?si=VGh53nyAv8FPHYqM
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM / Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Last post by Lesgold on May 02, 2024, 11:45:54 pm »
Joe and I went for a walk up a dry stream bed yesterday. I had just purchased a new coil for one of my detectors and wanted to try it out. The gold was hard to find but we managed to bring home a few pieces including one sunbaker.
Hello everyone,

I am very new to bee keeping.   I recently purchase a NUC that came in the form of 5-deep Langstroth frames.

I am thinking about transition to either a 20-frame Layens or a Bee Barn style by Vino farm.

Is there anyone from central of NJ that has either one of these bee hives?

Thank you in advance.

[mention]Terri Yaki [/mention]It wont hurt to wash those jars out. I don?t like mold, I think the bees quit taking it as fast when it starts to mold.

I also find that if they arnt building out the outside frames, I can take the first frame you pulled out (frame 2) and flip it and put it to the wall so the drawn side is against the wall, and insert frame 1 in between 2 and 3. That hive is young yet, but in a week or two I might move some frames around. Also, if you add a new box in a week or two, they will move up and draw that out. You can move the new comb into the center of the brood below, pushing the frames out and move the edge frames to the top box.

That hive tool looks like a lot of work the way you?re tugging on frames. I like the larger j hook tools. They have a heel that you can pry the frames up with. And when spreading frames I insert the bit between the frames and twist. It also has a long enough handle to give the leverage needed to go between the end frame and hive body and move all ten frames at once from side to side to compress them against the opposing wall, the. Pry between the other wall to center the stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything