Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Color of newly melted beeswax  (Read 1358 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Color of newly melted beeswax
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:40:07 pm »
Question - beeswax that I have seen in the past has always been a light brown color.  All of the wax that I have produced so far comes out bright dark yellow.  Is the color going to fade with time?  Or is it from pollen (I live in a big goldenrod area) in the comb?

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Color of newly melted beeswax
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:00:38 am »
Wax from cappings or new comb is usually yellow to white in color.  Wax from old brood comb is usually brown to dark brown in color.  It does not change with age other than bleaching more white in the sun (and melting if it's hot enough).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:41:29 am »
Learn something new everyday.  I'll bet that back when beeswax was the best candle material that the whiter the wax the better, the most valuable.  I'm sure that the Church in the Middle Ages snapped that up.  I, of course, think beeswax is still the best candle material - once in awhile I run into somebody who doesn't like the smell though.  (What's wrong with them?! :-D)

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:18:58 am »
I think part of the appeal in this day and age is that paraffin is white, so you expect beeswax candles to look different from that...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:11:08 pm »
Well, I can hear it now at the farmer's market.  "If those are REAL beeswax candles, why are they yellow?"
Another opportunity to educate the public.

JC