Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Matrix movies.  (Read 1049 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
The Matrix movies.
« on: May 16, 2022, 06:25:39 pm »
Back in the day I tried to get into them.  Failed.

I got HBOmax to replace Netflix and decided to try the movies again.  I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they were so popular?  I love some of the actors in them, but the movies themselves kinda stink. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: The Matrix movies.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 08:09:43 pm »
I think the first Matrix is really good.  The second one is GARBAGE, and the third one is meh.  I haven't seen the new fourth one, and I probably only will if I'm really bored.  I can't see picking up the series this far after the fact working at all.  I haven't watched the first one in a while, except for the "There is no spoon" part, which I always seem to catch on TV for some reason.  What specifically don't you like about them, particularly the first one?     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 08:57:38 pm »
The first one was interesting because it was a unique storyline.  It had a lot of promise.  The second one was confusing and seemed to be a lot of jumping around and hitting people.  I have not gotten farther and don't remember if I watched the 3rd on in the 1st place.

They are such popular movies and I just don't get it   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 11:13:03 am »
The first one was interesting because it was a unique storyline.  It had a lot of promise.  The second one was confusing and seemed to be a lot of jumping around and hitting people.  I have not gotten farther and don't remember if I watched the 3rd on in the 1st place.

They are such popular movies and I just don't get it   :grin:
Yeah, I get what you mean.  I think they really rode on the success of the first one and didn't allow it to develop into anything meaningful after that.  Perhaps it was the kind of thing that would have been better without any sequels at all.

By the way, if you've got HBO Max now, I don't know if you are into superhero movies at all, but I can't recommend Zack Snyder's DC movies enough.  They are so deep and intelligent, absolute top of the genre in my opinion.       

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 02:14:07 pm »
Thanks for the rec.  I had given up on most of the DC TV stuff because they seemed to be sacrificing story content for agenda.  I used to love those shows so I'll give DC another go.  Maybe the movies are better than the TV series.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 06:23:01 pm »
Thanks for the rec. I had given up on most of the DC TV stuff because they seemed to be sacrificing story content for agenda.  I used to love those shows so I'll give DC another go.  Maybe the movies are better than the TV series.
TELL ME ABOUT IT!!  My sister and I are hanging on to the last couple of CW seasons (we're watching recorded on a DVR) because most of the shows have been canceled, and we're too hooked into the characters not to know what happens, but we are glad it's about to be over.  We caught the first season of Titans on TNT, and that's available on HBOMax.  We really liked it, until the very last episode of the season, so that might be worth a look if you'd like a quality, non-agenda driven DC show.  Also Swamp Thing ran only for one season, but we LOVED that and were really sad that it was canceled.  We caught an edited airing of that on CW during the pandemic, and we're going to watch the full version on Blu-ray sometime. 

As far as newer DC movies goes, only the Zack Snyder directed or produced movies are really worth it, so in order that would be Man of Steel, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, Wonder Woman, and Zack Snyder's Justice League.  The other ones are meh, and whatever you do DO NOT watch Joss Whedon's cut of Justice League.  My sister and I call that names that I cannot repeat here.   

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 07:04:19 pm »
Lol.  It's too bad because some of the DC storylines had a lot of potential.

I'll take your advice on the movies.  I heard Wonder Woman was great.  I just have such a pile of reading and stuff that I save the shows for nighttime and then fall asleep before I get too far. 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 07:56:31 pm »
Lol.  It's too bad because some of the DC storylines had a lot of potential.

I'll take your advice on the movies.  I heard Wonder Woman was great.  I just have such a pile of reading and stuff that I save the shows for nighttime and then fall asleep before I get too far. 
Gal Gadot is absolutely amazing as Wonder Woman.  My sister and I rate all the movies we see on a 10 scale, and we gave Wonder Woman (the movie) a 9, and the rest of the of the ones I recommended you we gave 10s.  The only complaint we had about Wonder Woman was the villain was a little shallow. 

I forgot to mention, probably because I was seeing red about the Whedon cut, that Batman V. Superman has an extended edition called "The Ultimate Cut" that I would highly recommend if HBO Max has it available.  It's a good half hour longer, but unlike a lot of extended editions, the extra material isn't just extra fight scenes that were cut for time, it's actually mostly sections of plot from the middle of the movie, and with that footage reinstated the plot runs much more smoothly, with better justifications for characters' actions, and less plot holes. 

My sister also mentioned Krypton as a good DC TV show in case you haven't seen that.  It aired on Syfy and was abruptly canceled after 2 seasons, which was super (pun intended) unfortunate because the show actually improved a lot in the second season.  It was just too expensive for the channel to continue to produce.   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:46:10 pm by The15thMember »

anything