Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Horse manure question  (Read 3811 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Horse manure question
« on: May 10, 2018, 10:11:00 pm »
I picked up about 1 ton of black horse manure this weekend.
I plan to till it into my raised beds.
I do not want to over do it, are there any other additives I need for tomato, pepper, potato, asparagus, sweet potato, and strawberry?
The beds work out to 24x40. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Horse manure question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 01:42:53 am »
JV,
Be careful with that horse manure. I got a real nice deal on a brand new manure spreader because every time he spread the horse apples on his pastures, it burned it real bad. It is not the same as cow manure.
Not sure how it will work out for your garden.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 08:47:04 am »
Compost it first!
https://www.gardensalive.com/product/using-manure-wisely
Not so good for flowering plants, tomatoes, peppers, and strawberries.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 11:19:59 am »
If it has been sitting around for a year, it's good.  It's not as good for planting as cow or chicken manure, but it is good for soil improvement.

Horses do not digest things as well either, so if it's not well composted you'll get sprouting seeds from whatever they were eating.

I turn my pile over and take from the bottom each year.  In fact, the last few years I have scraped off the top and planted right in the manure pile   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:16:34 pm »
The pile I dug out was at least 2 years old.  Nothing green inside of it, not even a trace of straw.  There were some weeds growing on top.

I'd like to use it on my apple trees if it's advisable, again, I don't want to over do it.

Will I need the bone meal, fish meal, etc for the vegetables or is the black manure good enough?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 05:21:08 pm »
If it is well rotted you will be fine using it however you want.  It's not as hot as cow or chicken, so around trees and stuff if fine especially when it's old.

I plant right into the manure pile and don't use anything else.  You can always dump stuff on later if you find you need it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 11:06:05 am »
If it is two years old you are good to go I do believe. Have you planted anything yet?

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 09:25:03 pm »
Tomato and pepper planted last week. Seed cucumbers too. All are doing well.
I was mostly interested in the additional supplements recommended for gardening. The munure is black/safe.
I put them in anyway.
Thanks.