Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A General Hive Question  (Read 1041 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: A General Hive Question
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2024, 12:28:57 pm »
There are so, so many ways to make a split, depending on the time of year, the goal of the split, and the equipment you have at your disposal.  I'm bad with the terminology surrounding different types of splits, because there are just so many ways to do it, and I prefer to just think through the process logically each time.  The thing to ask yourself when you split a hive is this: what is each half now lacking, and how do I make sure they can manage well until they have it again? 

Here is what I typically do, but again, there are 100 ways to skin this cat.  When I split for increase, I try to mimic a swarm, so I'll move the frame with the queen into the new hive.  I make sure there are drawn blanks for her to lay in, some capped brood, and plenty of stores, because this side of the split will be lacking foragers, and therefore won't have food coming in until the bees that emerge in the new hive begin foraging (which they will do early, in the absence of older bees).  All the current flying bees that I have incidentally moved are oriented to the original colony's location, and when they leave the new hive to go forage, they will return back to the old hive. 

In the original location, they are now lacking a queen, so in order to make one they will need frames with eggs and also plenty of nurse bees, so I ensure the original colony also has capped brood, since nursing is the job of the young bees.  If I'm expecting a big flow, I'll also be sure the original colony has the supers they need, because I don't want to disturb that colony until the new queen has mated.   

In your case, Terri, the question is going to be if the hive is really big enough to split down the middle yet.  If not, making a nuc off of the hive may be better, but that nuc will have gotten a very late start.  Or, you could do something like Phillip described, and wait and make a nuc off your hive later in the season, if you don't catch a swarm.  You will then have to overwinter that nuc, but one strong colony and one nuc might be preferable to 2 weaker colonies going into winter.  It's just a matter of preference and proper timing in your situation.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2024, 06:11:23 pm »
Can I just split this colony?
At the end of the day there's only 2 ways to make a split.  You can purchase a queen or allow the split to make its own which in your case will be an emergency queen.  When I make splits, they either have charged swarm cells, or I have mated queens ready.  Emergency queens can sometimes be poor quality.  If you make the split now it will be around 30 days until the new queen is laying and another 12 days for bees the best age to produce wax.  You might be able to pull it off but once August comes around wax production gets harder.  Honestly you should focus on getting your new hive strong for winter and learn about mite/honeybee life cycle and biology.  Your bees could produce honey this year and make splits next year.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2024, 07:10:29 pm »
Good discussion in that thread, Ben. Thanks. For now, I'll concentrate on getting the hive strong, try to catch a swarm and if and when I have a lot of brood, I'll consider it.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2024, 09:17:38 pm »

👍🏻 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2024, 02:52:31 pm »
My swarm hive is hardly flying today for some reason. It's in the 70s and partly sunny. I think I heard the queen in there piping. Are these symptoms of anything?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2024, 07:05:10 pm »
Generally virgins will pipe; it's the challenge call for any other queens to come and fight her for supremacy.  How sure are you that you saw brood in there?  I remember you were having trouble seeing eggs, but did you see any larvae?  Keep in mind that this colony is about 1/4 of the size of your other one, so don't be surprised if the traffic is about 1/4 that of the other hive.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2024, 08:02:49 pm »
Generally virgins will pipe; it's the challenge call for any other queens to come and fight her for supremacy.  How sure are you that you saw brood in there?  I remember you were having trouble seeing eggs, but did you see any larvae?  Keep in mind that this colony is about 1/4 of the size of your other one, so don't be surprised if the traffic is about 1/4 that of the other hive.     
I couldn't confirm any larvae but I believe I saw some eggs and no capped brood. But they had only been here for a week. They have a good pile of stores but I don't know how much of that they brought with them. And I watched them a little today and they are bringing in pollen and now that you mention it, yes, I was comparing them with my other hive, which is much bigger. When they all come in without pollen, are they toting nectar instead?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2024, 09:27:20 pm »
Next time you check, take your phone and get pictures of the cells.  Then you can look on your computer and you'll be able to see better what's in there.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2024, 09:28:08 pm »
Provided they found some nectar, yes.  They could of course be coming home empty and it would be difficult to tell, but if there are things blooming and there is good traffic, it's a safe bet they have loaded honey crops.  Another indicator is that bees who are carrying heavy loads will often kind of slam down on the landing board, because their trajectory is a little off from the weight.     

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2024, 09:55:49 pm »
Pictures with phone is a good tip, will do, thanks. I'll watch for landing trajectories and see what they look like.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2024, 06:48:22 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin