Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are the reasons that bees cluster on a queen aggressively?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Vicken

• House Bee
I made some Italian queens with 3  langstroth full of bees frames, then I gave the nucs some hatching bee frames,  after two days the bees in 3 hives had clustered on the queen snd they were forbidding the queens to lay eggs,  does anyone have any info about that?

Sent from my D6502 using Tapatalk

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
Re: What are the reasons that bees cluster on a queen aggressively?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 07:15:44 am »
Only reason I know of for surrounding a queen is rejection and they are 'balling' which overheats and kills the queen. Hope that is not the case for you. Look up Dave Cushman, a good source of info.
Good luck
Aaron

Offline Vicken

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 07:31:09 am »
 It was with them, she was their mother, I don't think that's the reason,  I made a mistake which was gave her two hatching brood frames in a period of two days

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 07:42:33 am »
Vicken,
A couple of years ago, I added 2 frames of bees to my observation hive. To keep them from fighting I put a strip of paper above the bottom/original frame of bees to safely combine them. Right after I had put the hive back in the house, I saw a ball of bees above the paper. The queen had moved up while I was closing it up. I thought for sure they were killing the queen. Later that night, I saw the queen laying eggs above the paper. It turned out that her bees were protecting her from the new bees until she was accepted by them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Vicken

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:15:49 am »
Oh thanks sawdsmakr, in my case I thought that perhaps bees saw something unusual with two frames of hatching brood,  perhaps there aren't there sufficient stores of honey and they wanted to stop her from laying eggs

Offline Vicken

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 08:19:02 am »
I think there r lots of reasons why bees cluster on a queen, by the way one of the itallians which they had clustered on is now accepted again by the bees and she's laying eggs,  the other two one Italian and one carnica i transformed them to new hives in hope i won't lose them,  thanks a lot my friend