Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive issues..  (Read 1076 times)

Offline derekNGA

• New Bee
Hive issues..
« on: June 18, 2017, 12:16:22 pm »
Quick run down.
Was my strongest, healthiest hive.
3 months ago threw a very nice caught swarm that has done great.
However, since throwing the swarm, the hive has been going down hill.  Not able to check often.
About a month after the swarm I checked to see if made a new prosperous queen.  Im running a deep and medium as brood boxes.  In deep, I found some honey, some really dried looking pollen, no eggs, but literally  a few larvae and speckled capped brood.  In the medium there were more honey, pollen , a few speckled eggs, larvae and capped brood.  Very few and scattered.  I did find queen cells so hoped for a new queen to replace the old.
Few weeks later checked again.  Deep is pretty much empty of everything.  Medium is same as it was.  Local guy had an extra queen he would sell me but I could not find the old queen to remove so I did not purchase the new queen and hoped for the best.  Friday, I went back in.  Far less bees, but things looked the same in the medium box.  Nothing still in deep.  Did appear the few speckled capped brood are drone cells.
Very few larvae and eggs.  Did find bottom opened queen cells and a few closed queen cells.  So again, I closed up hoping for the best.  Get up this morning and the girls had a house cleaning party....brood and larvae piled up outside the entrance on landing board and ground.  Was the same look the morning after putting in apiguard last fall.  My question is....simple, what is going on?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Hive issues..
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 09:56:36 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:24:54 pm »
What Michael said. 

His beespanacea is magic.   The trick is to just remember to check every week or so.   This is another reason it's a good idea to run more than one hive. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline derekNGA

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:01:05 pm »
Thanks!  I began week 1 of panacea.
However, When I went in today, there were no eggs to be found.  And Ive not tge entire time found double or more eggs in a cell.  Eitherway, a frame a week from another hive wuth brood, larvae and eggs cant hurt them for sure.
Thanks, and hoping for a turn around.