Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How much honey should one leave for the bees?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Oneamateur

• New Bee
How much honey should one leave for the bees?
« on: June 07, 2017, 04:45:12 pm »
I have a 2 ten frames deep box. The bees store all the honey on the top box. They are capped. Now the bottom box is honey bound. How many frames of honey out of ten should I leave for the bees? Thanks for answering.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: How much honey should one leave for the bees?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 07:59:23 am »
With that description it sounds like you have a swarm in the making. I'd suggest putting a super between the two boxes. Also it'd help if you pulled down a couple frames from the top super and swapped them with some frames from the newly added super. We need to see your general location so we can get a better idea of what's happening in your area. S. Florida vs N. Alaska is different beekeeping.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:51:10 am »
He could be in OZ too which flips the calendar.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 01:08:24 pm »
I think I have one super full of honey. I have not been in there in two weeks and the flow is still on strong. We have had to much rain and it starts back on Sunday and I wont be able to get bakc to them on our two clear days. I might just wait till fall to extract then.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 07:36:26 pm »
Put a super under the full one and se what happens.
If there is a flow on they will collect more or move honey up from the brood area for the queen to expand.
If you are in in OZ then we would leave 5 frames in an 8 fr box for winter, so I suppose 6 in a 10.
The question of location is important, as OZ is the same size as the US and winter from North to South is just as variable.

anything