Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Northeast Florida  (Read 2433 times)

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
Greetings from Northeast Florida
« on: March 24, 2020, 09:03:19 am »
Hello all,

I'm Matthew Pence, or Stitch (from the Disney movie).  I was recently directed to this forum by our local beekeeper association with respect to Mr. Altmiller's BeeFest (which I attended this weekend).

I am a relatively new beekeeper, entering my 3rd year.  I run all 10 frame Langstroth hives.  Presently I'm using a mix of deep and medium boxes, but as I cycle out equipment, I'm converting to all mediums for the health of my back and the convenience of not having to inventory multiple types of frames, boxes, etc.

Outside of beekeeping, I am a computer programmer/IT Swiss Army Knife ('if it has buttons or wires, it's Matt's problem') so that I can afford to keep bees.  I am also a musician playing the club circuit in Duval and Clay counties.

I have been lurking here for a few days getting a feel for the overall atmosphere in the forums before piping up.  (Queen pun not intended).  I must say, I am impressed with the respect demonstrated here between members.  Having recently stepped away from Facebook, I find this to be somewhat of a culture shock!

I'd like to thank the moderation and administration team for providing a well managed forum for beekeepers (commercial and hobbyists) to get together and discuss ideas like professionals. 
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Greetings from Northeast Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:31:07 am »
Glad to have you stitch.  I am going to talk to Jim about bringing a generator (I almost did) so you and Mike can plug in and maybe drown out the dogs yelping next year.  Great meeting you at beefest this year.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:52:25 am »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 01:20:02 pm »
Matt,
Welcome to Beemaster. Thanks for coming to BeeFest.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 02:42:39 pm »
Glad to have you stitch.  I am going to talk to Jim about bringing a generator (I almost did) so you and Mike can plug in and maybe drown out the dogs yelping next year.  Great meeting you at beefest this year.

I've got quiet options for that.  Worst case, I have several hundred feet of cord in that white van at any given point.  I kinda thought the dogs added an interesting chorus of background singers.  :P
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 08:36:01 am »
Hello, Stich. Good to see you again. And yes, I also am impressed by the tone of the forum members.
By the way, I have scouts sniffing around a bait box I put up when we got back from the forum. High hopes.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 08:58:14 am »
Welcome Stitch - Agree about the courtesy shown here. Congratulations on dropping facebook - I dropped about 3 years ago and have not regretted it.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 03:56:12 pm »
Hello, Stich. Good to see you again. And yes, I also am impressed by the tone of the forum members.
By the way, I have scouts sniffing around a bait box I put up when we got back from the forum. High hopes.

Here's to hoping!
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 04:01:07 pm »
Welcome Stitch - Agree about the courtesy shown here. Congratulations on dropping facebook - I dropped about 3 years ago and have not regretted it.

With the current political climate combined with the pandemic, Facebook became downright toxic.  I didn't even realize what sort of an impact it was having on me until I went to BeeFest where there was no cell phone signal.  I had a slight 'detox' session while out there.  Then when I logged into Facebook that Sunday night, I noted that my overall demeanor became combative and dissatisfied.  Maybe I'll pop on from time to time, but I have no desire to invest my mental real estate in that garbage.  Cheers!

-Matt
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 04:23:30 pm »
I didn't even realize what sort of an impact it was having on me until I went to BeeFest where there was no cell phone signal.

2021 BeeFest and Jim's Zen Den

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 05:12:47 pm »
I didn't even realize what sort of an impact it was having on me until I went to BeeFest where there was no cell phone signal.

2021 BeeFest and Jim's Zen Den
😊
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin