Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Beekeeping Experiment Participants wanted"  (Read 1780 times)

Offline TomP

• New Bee
"Beekeeping Experiment Participants wanted"
« on: March 15, 2011, 03:16:25 pm »
On Michael Bush's website there is a page  http://www.bushfarms.com/beesexperiment.htm asking for participants in an experiment.  The copyright at the bottom of the page says 2006 so it seems there have been at least 4 seasons since the call for participants.  Michael, can you summarize the results of what you have learned in the years since posting the call?  Anyone else care to comment on "Opening the Brood Nest" and "Checkerboarding"  for swarm prevention and honey production?

Thanks. 

Tom

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: "Beekeeping Experiment Participants wanted"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 06:37:13 pm »
I only had one or two responses and I was too busy to try it myself.  What Walt wanted to pin down was if checkerboarding combined with opening the brood nest would cause them to start stocking honey sooner.  I would still love to find out, but queen rearing and life have not really given me the time  The few responses were from people with one or two hives  and nothing very conclusive.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TomP

• New Bee
Re: "Beekeeping Experiment Participants wanted"
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 01:39:01 am »
Thanks for the update Michael.  Since I only have top bar hives, and just 6 of those at this point, I won't be of any help either.  It seems to make sense, but it would be nice to know.  Without a doubt, if I can keep the hives from swarming they more than double the honey production.  I am trying to do some opening of the brood nest with empty bars BBEBBEBB etc.  Will see how that does for me.  Thanks for your great website of reference material.