Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Garden Updates 2017  (Read 12179 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Garden Updates 2017
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:01:27 am »
This spring has been a disappointing spring. Because of our non winter I have no peaches but because of a late hard freeze I am probably down 30-40 percent on my blueberries and it popped back my fig and pomegranate trees. Blueberries are my biggest fruit producer for me so that is a bummer but they are showing really strong growth and I just harvested the first of the berries and the fruit is big and tasty this year. All my other fruit is showing good growth except for the one chestnut tree that died. I do have fruit from my strawberries also but they are new. In the veggie part of the garden things are looking really good. I expect a good harvest of good crops unless something changes. All my veggies are showing good solid growth and we are getting good rain as of now.

How is your garden going?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Garden Updates 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:34:32 pm »
They are claiming up here peaches and apples are going to be a banner year.  My trees were covered with flowers.  I will have to see if my bees did their work.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 01:26:10 am »
Tomatoes and peppers for the most part in my garden. So far, so good. I go to my friend's  house and the U-pick farm for blueberries. They are early,  BIG, and delicious this year! I got some strawberries at another U-pick farm that were also very good.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 07:09:39 am »
My wife and I searched all of our blueberry bushes last week and we found no more than a dozen berries. Most years we get 2 to 3 large collenders full every week for up to 7 weeks.  This year, we are hoping the wild blackberries will be a banner year.
 My wife's garden is doing real well. She waited until April to start her spring plants and she is real glad that she did.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 10:49:40 am »
Tomatoes and peppers for the most part in my garden. So far, so good. I go to my friend's  house and the U-pick farm for blueberries. They are early,  BIG, and delicious this year! I got some strawberries at another U-pick farm that were also very good.

I wish my blueberries were doing well.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 10:50:35 am »
They are claiming up here peaches and apples are going to be a banner year.  My trees were covered with flowers.  I will have to see if my bees did their work.

That sounds fantastic. I am sure your girls performed well. I am most disappointed about my peaches. Last year I let them rot on a tree as I was not around them because of a sick baby and vacation and this year they did not make. Two years with no peaches.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 11:02:09 am »
Thanks to a friend I am going to expand my orchard out by two blueberries, two more blackberries, one asian persimmon, and one more pomegranate tree. He gifted me all of these yesterday

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 11:35:13 am »
Went from 60 and rain to 80?s here. Got about 18 tomato?s, half dozen basil (badly sun scalded), half dozen egg plant hardening off outside. Pumpkins, delicata, and giant sunflowers in pots (to germinate) on the picnic table. Going to try to shallow till the soil today so I can help it dry (in the am and PM).
Wednesday is going to be a high of 60 so the tomato?s will go in Tuesday evening.
Hail beat up the blueberry bloom but I must have 25 plants so it will be OK. My Apple grafts on the espalier look like they took. The ones on the Plums look like I brought in a virus so I cut them all off. The apricots on the existing stock I thought was going to be a win are dying with the trees (think I lost a peach also) because it has been so wet and cold. Our Gravenstien apple tree must have bloomed for a solid month so it should be a banner year for that tree as it hit every overlapping bloom from crabs to Kings.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 09:49:54 am »
What is a typical summer high in Oregon Minz?

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 04:33:21 pm »
It should stop raining here about mid June and not rain again until mid September. If you want it to grow you water it. After Blackberry nothing really blooms- no second flow.
We traditionally get 12 days per year of above 90 degrees. Last frost is tax day, April 15th, first is end of October but the returning rains usually mean that nothing worth eating has survived the mildews and moss.
We are going to hit 88 today after a long wet winter and the news probably sounds like it does when it snows by you.
Oh yeah, snow here is a 24 hour news event. Schools get cancelled on a snow forecast. We get about 2 a year that last a day, maybe two.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 01:25:48 pm »
Sounds interesting. HOw much rain do yall average a year? We get rain year round and our driest month averages about 3 inches of rain. OUr problem is that it is scorching from June to September and unless we get that rain it would be a desert around here.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 04:28:14 pm »
I just looked at intellicast for Historic averages
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USOR0275
we get about 25? of rain a year, 15? of that in November-February.
Our average high temp is pretty much in the high 70?s for July-September.   
People that come out to visit us in August usually comment how dead everything looks.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 05:36:22 pm »
Lush golf courses around here.  Just about 40 in. rain and plenty in August.  Normally, lots of snow.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 10:10:03 am »
I just looked at intellicast for Historic averages
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USOR0275
we get about 25? of rain a year, 15? of that in November-February.
Our average high temp is pretty much in the high 70?s for July-September.   
People that come out to visit us in August usually comment how dead everything looks.

THose highs sound pretty nice. Do yall get much snow?

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 10:10:57 am »
Lush golf courses around here.  Just about 40 in. rain and plenty in August.  Normally, lots of snow.

If we only got 40 inches of rain everyone would freak out because of the severe drought. It would be a severe drought to by September after 4 months of 90 plus days.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 10:33:03 am »
40 inches is plenty when it is even and consistent.  Snow fall doesn't enter the ground until it melts.  So we have about 4 months of water storage that lets loose in the spring.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 01:15:36 am »

THose highs sound pretty nice. Do yall get much snow?
one or maybe two a year. if it lasts more than two days we claim it is a blizzard. Last year we had a couple of snow storms that lasted for a WEEK!

Offline brookscj

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 12:08:30 am »
I am battling a nasty bunch of Johnson grass.  I think I can watch it grow as I'm pulling it up and for every one I get rid of four more show up!
"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul."  Luther Burbank

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 09:51:07 am »
Thought it was time for another garden update. The garden is struggling. We had rain for the better part of 3 weeks. Things are starting to rot, can't get in there to work a lot of the weeds, and tomatoes are starting to split. This weeks forcast....... A lot more rain.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 03:40:26 pm »
To get rid of Johnson and nut grass get some EDPM roofing material or sheet metal and cover small areas  at a time.  This is a better choice than glyphosphate for bee keepers and small areas.

anything