Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Green Manures and Legumes  (Read 8654 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Green Manures and Legumes
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 07:04:21 pm »
My mistake.  It was Minz that said to broadcast in fall..
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 11:40:20 am »
Coffee grounds can be very beneficial. I've heard Starbucks and the like will give you coffee grounds.  Coffee grounds are acidic, so they are good for your soil if it's on the Alkaline side.  Don't use it around tomatoes.  Good as a fertilizer because as they break down they release nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus.  If you'd prefer a neutral pH, rinse the coffee grounds before spreading over or working into the soil.

So they have to be rinsed and not just used already for making coffee?

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 12:32:58 pm »
We're talking about grounds here.  I think that means already used.  So after they've made the morning's 50-gallon pot at Starbucks, the grounds are used up.  No coffee stuff left to keep you up all night.  Now it's only good for something else.  But the grounds are too acidic for some things just as you get them from the nice barista, but just right for things like azaleas, so you don't rinse them for plants that like acidic conditions and for things that prefer a more neutral pH, you rinse.  The grounds will break down fast and become part of the soil.  And they're free if the barista likes you.  Free is good and you're performing a public service by keeping them out of the landfill.  What's not to like about it?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 01:35:29 pm »
We're talking about grounds here.  I think that means already used.  So after they've made the morning's 50-gallon pot at Starbucks, the grounds are used up.  No coffee stuff left to keep you up all night.  Now it's only good for something else.  But the grounds are too acidic for some things just as you get them from the nice barista, but just right for things like azaleas, so you don't rinse them for plants that like acidic conditions and for things that prefer a more neutral pH, you rinse.  The grounds will break down fast and become part of the soil.  And they're free if the barista likes you.  Free is good and you're performing a public service by keeping them out of the landfill.  What's not to like about it?

I think I might get them in bulk and wash them off. I live my garden most years anyway.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 04:03:40 pm »
Bwallace, what kind of soil do you have there?  If it's clay, you might want to add the grounds without rinsing.  If it's already acid soil (if you have pine trees, azaleasgrow well, etc., your soul is acidic) you still might be okay without rinsing.  The best advice I can give is to call your county ag agent's office and ask a Master Gardener what you should do.  I'm honestly not sure why you'd want neutral pH, but the literature I've read said rinsing would neutralize the pH.  There's a lot online about coffee grounds as a soil additive, but your local Master Gardener would be a good source for guidance on your local conditions.  That goes for just  about any question you might have about increasing the yield from your garden.  Another thing is to have your soil tested.  Again, your Master Gardener can supply you with a soil test kit and instructions and your state Extension Service will test for a nominal fee and tailor their response to your soil conditions and what you plan to grow.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 06:26:04 pm »
Yeah where we live all our soil is acidic. But thanks. I should test my soil soon.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 06:53:04 pm »
Welcome.  And blame my poor typing for saying your soul was acidic :cool:  I don't know a thing about your soul, but I'm assuming it's beautiful, while your SOIL is acidic.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 12:24:58 am »
I used the coffee grounds around my blueberries for years. the grounds come out of the espresso machines as small, packed pucks of very fine grounds. Even after you rake them and break them up they will form an almost sand like consistency and be almost water repellant.  The grounds form into hard little dikes that repel water. Ants love them.
Our local coffee shop leaves them in 10 lb bags by the door. Not starbucks but Arrow. When you are looking for them they are obvious.  I am back to using saw dust.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 12:35:54 pm »
Thanks and good information to know

anything