ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Breaking a Broody Hen

<< < (2/11) > >>

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: gww on August 08, 2023, 03:46:29 pm ---We put ours in a cage for two or three days and they get better though some chickens might try two to three different times during the year.  Try and let them get a little light while caged and I read once if they lay an egg you don't have to wait the full three days.  I will be honest, many times two days will do it and one will not.
Cheers

--- End quote ---
My sister do have this hen separated from the flock in a little hut we are planning on using for the guineas.  It hasn't worked so far, but the space isn't quite as confined as a cage.  Do you think being more confined would help?   

Kathyp:
People recommend cooling the hen by putting her in a wire cage off the ground.  Personally, I have never found anything to work other than time.  If you leave her where she is, don't take food and water to her.  Make her get hungry enough to come off the nest.  You can also try blocking off her chosen nest so that she has to use another.  Some hens don't care though. 

gww:
The15th
We have did it three times this year and it worked every time.  We have a rabbit type cage in the chicken house but when it is really hot we used like a bird or dog cage and keep her in the yard and move her from shade to shade as the sun swifts. 

I would let them sit but my wife cares more and it is my belief they may kill themselves on those hundred degree days.  My wife will check them by letting them out early and if they poop eat and run back and start sitting, back in the cage they go. 

You can tell pretty quick if they are over it cause they quit the little clucking and stuff when you get near them when they are broody.  We do not separate them except for the caging and lots of time the other chickens will gather round the cage. 

We have only did this for about three years but it works well enough that my wife complains that it took so long to find out about it.  We used to just get chicks and stick under them.  My wife is very happy about this process.  Mostly we do not put bedding in the cages but do try and keep food and water.
Good luck and I hope this helps more then hurts.
Cheers

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Kathyp on August 08, 2023, 05:36:03 pm ---People recommend cooling the hen by putting her in a wire cage off the ground.  Personally, I have never found anything to work other than time.  If you leave her where she is, don't take food and water to her.  Make her get hungry enough to come off the nest.  You can also try blocking off her chosen nest so that she has to use another.  Some hens don't care though.

--- End quote ---
We have tried removing her favorite nest and also filling it with ice, and neither thing worked. 

--- Quote from: gww on August 08, 2023, 06:15:09 pm ---The15th
We have did it three times this year and it worked every time.  We have a rabbit type cage in the chicken house but when it is really hot we used like a bird or dog cage and keep her in the yard and move her from shade to shade as the sun swifts. 

I would let them sit but my wife cares more and it is my belief they may kill themselves on those hundred degree days.  My wife will check them by letting them out early and if they poop eat and run back and start sitting, back in the cage they go. 

You can tell pretty quick if they are over it cause they quit the little clucking and stuff when you get near them when they are broody.  We do not separate them except for the caging and lots of time the other chickens will gather round the cage. 

We have only did this for about three years but it works well enough that my wife complains that it took so long to find out about it.  We used to just get chicks and stick under them.  My wife is very happy about this process.  Mostly we do not put bedding in the cages but do try and keep food and water.
Good luck and I hope this helps more then hurts.
Cheers

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the extra info, gww.

Ben Framed:
Did she have a pretty good average of hatched chicks?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version