Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cooling Cabinet  (Read 7423 times)

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
Re: Cooling Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 07:41:54 am »
As Promised some pictures of my honey creamer, in use  and after cleaning. This model takes 100L.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 07:58:35 am »
That is more like it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2022, 03:46:13 pm »
That?s a nice looking piece of equipment. Thanks for posting the pics Nigel.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 04:19:08 pm »
I like it too. Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post it Nigel. From what I can see the inside sort of favors the inside of a home ice cream making machine. But the motor looks far more heavy duty, sort of like an electric, overhead hanging shop hoist motor, 'sort of', both strong and steady...

Thanks again,

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2022, 04:33:47 pm »
I am curious about the slight gap between the outer turntable/mixer edge and the edge of the chamber itself. Does this area need to be scraped and from time to time? Or does the machine 'draw' the outer contents to the center by itself? I would figure the machine would do it by itself but I am also taking into consideration the thickness of the cream which 'might' need a little special attention from time to time? I really like the looks of your machine Nigel..

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2022, 05:30:20 am »
Regarding outer gap, it is not an issue in any way. I draw the creamed honey off into buckets before jarring.  The use the motor and heating function to clean the inside.
It needs to be a strong motor as the mixture it is stirring is very thick. I'm just glad I bought it a few years ago when the price was sensible!. Just under ?2.5K now.
https://www.abelo.co.uk/beekeeping-category/creaming-machines/

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2022, 03:29:44 pm »
There is a creeper version (the 33 litre version with the plastic tank) Have you any opinions on that one? I was looking at that one locally for $1600. I won?t head down that path for a while until I know what is possible in my area during the winter. Did you notice the creaming paddle on that site? That?s the one that I was asking about. I might make a small one to try with my test batch of honey to see if it works.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2022, 04:41:49 am »
Difficult one Les. The unit I have is insulated and has a heater so I can warm my soft set once it has set to make it easier to jar. I suspect in your climate you want the paddle and motor without insulation (as this is what is retaining the heat generated by the friction of the crystals rubbing against each other).
With my creamer I can only make really good (white) soft set during the winter months where we are currently averaging about 4C for day time temps.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2022, 06:04:30 am »
Cheers Nigel. I?ll just keep going using a manual method to see how things work out before I decide the next step. Thanks for your input.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2022, 08:16:50 am »
I might make a small one to try with my test batch of honey to see if it works.
I would start here.
https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/stand-mixers.html
You can find them anywhere used in the states because they are too heavy to use for most women.  Those that use them have them on the counter top permanently.  Ours came out of a dumpster.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2022, 08:34:54 am »
Yes, but be careful. I burnt the motor out on an expensive mixer when I first started making soft set.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2022, 11:55:52 am »
I am wondering, once the honey has been creamed as shown in the picture that Nigel posted in reply10, how long will the honey remain in this nice looking creamed state? Is this a permeant state or will the texture change over time, even if a long period of time?

Phillip

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2022, 01:33:24 pm »
Ben, can't give you exact answer over a "long" period of time. But if kept out if direct sunlight or excess heat at least a year....I've usually sold out before then..... However if exposed to sunlight/heat it will change. In the past I have ended up with tri-coloured "honey", with 1 part soft set at the bottom of the jar. A liquid honey at the top and something in-between in the middle. Alas no photos.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2022, 02:37:14 pm »
Thanks Nigel. You might have already said? , but what is an ideal temperature for storage?

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2022, 12:56:35 am »
Had a bit of spare time so I thought I?d build a small double bladed stirrer out of stainless. Will give it a whirl (pardon the pun) this afternoon to see how it works. If it doesn?t work, I?ll end up with a paint stirrer.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2022, 04:36:26 am »
Thanks Nigel. You might have already said? , but what is an ideal temperature for storage?

Phillip

Ideal would be 14C or less.....but as few of us have temperature control to that level for a alrge storage area then I store mine in the coolest room in the house. So it's usually kept at between 15-20C in our UK climate. From experience on markets it's fine for short periods at much higher but if exposed to direct sunlight on a hot day will start to separate back to runny.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2022, 03:33:37 pm »
Tried the mixer out and made a small batch of creamed honey. This is what I started with when the seed honey was added to my raw honey.

The mixer seemed to do a good job at mixing the two parts together.

There didn?t appear to be any air dragged into the honey and the two parts combined with minimal work.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2022, 08:21:17 am »
From experience on markets it's fine for short periods at much higher but if exposed to direct sunlight on a hot day will start to separate back to runny.
That is exactly how I re liquefied honey that crystallized.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2022, 08:24:17 am »
There didn?t appear to be any air dragged into the honey and the two parts combined with minimal work.
Yes, that blade will do a good job of mixing but will not break down crystals without going to high speed.  High speed will introduce air.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2022, 09:26:20 am »
It is a bit on the small size to breaks down large crystal aggregates and mixes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 05:02:08 am by NigelP »

anything